VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks.
    This is a repeat of a question I posted about 5 months ago; maybe we have some new users now.
    My recorder is about 5 years old and I've been using the same group of DVD-RAM disks for that whole time. Within the last 6-8 months or so, I've been seeing, hearing, and feeling a strong vibration in the machine whenever some specific DVD-RAMs are in the machine. Even when it's not playing or recording, the machine vibrates (Now why in the world would it even be SPINNING if it's not being used????? Sounds to me like a plan to make the machine wear out more quickly, but what do I know?) so bad you can hear it walking by. There's just one disk that it doesn't vibrate with.
    I figured it had to be that some of the disks had gone bad, so I was going to buy some more, but they don't have any apparent wear, they're clean, and they sure don't have labels on them. And if the machine has gone bad, why does it not vibrate with just one specific disk?
    Anyone have any ideas on this?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it go away when you push on the tray?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like the DVD drive spindle might need cleaning. The vibration could be the DVD slipping on the spindle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Does it go away when you push on the tray?
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomwil View Post
    Sounds like the DVD drive spindle might need cleaning. The vibration could be the DVD slipping on the spindle.
    How do I clean that? And wouldn't they all slip, if that was the case?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alcohol on the rubber/plastic spindle with a non-cloth cloth (chamois material).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uhhh... the spindle isn't visible. Are you talking about opening up the case?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    It won't bite you, catch fire or explode if you open it up. I promise.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to remove the cover and the cover on the DVD drive. Here's a link to a thread talking about spindle cleaning http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14479898#post14479898
    When you say it vibrates even when not playing or recording, does it go away after about 5 minutes? Anytime a disc is put in the tray it will spin for about 5 minutes, it's anticipating you want to record/play and because it's spinning it will react faster.
    Cleaning the spindle is probably a good start but usually a dirty spindle causes failed burns or a loud grinding noise, not so much vibration.
    A dirty spindle can make a machine quite odd, some discs work fine but others don't. Really seems to be little rhyme or reason.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, guys, I'll give it a try.
    By the way, I found out the disk spins for about 7 minutes after insertion.
    Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you're inside it you should clean it's laser too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it didn't help. Still runs real smooth with the one DVD-RAM, real rough with the others. Bummer, because it was sure easy.
    I suppose now I have to find another DVD-RAM disk online. (There are none here locally.) I've tried emailing 4 retailers so far to see if they're able to ship or if the weather has them shut down, and not a single one has responded. (For some reason, it seems that everyone who has DVD-RAMs is in the northeast where it's been "blizzarding" for a couple weeks!)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Panasonic actually has some good deals on multi pack RAM discs(online). That or if you live near a Frys electronics look in their computer area. RAM discs are getting harder and harder to find.
    I wonder if you discs are somewhat warped? a warped disc may cause excessive vibration.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    I think Panasonic actually has some good deals on multi pack RAM discs(online). That or if you live near a Frys electronics look in their computer area. RAM discs are getting harder and harder to find.
    I wonder if you discs are somewhat warped? a warped disc may cause excessive vibration.
    Hmmm. I never thought about them being warped; they worked fine for several years, but I guess it could happen.
    As far as the disks, Panasonic's web site shows them backordered. When you're the manufacturer, how can you have something on backorder? I guess they just buy them from somebody else, huh? Actually, though, I just want to buy one, not a multipack, until I find out whether the disks are the problem.
    Just as a curiosity item, I thought I'd mention that I found a leaking capacitor, as was mentioned in one of the links above. There's a lot of good info in that link.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic does not manufacture discs, no. They re-brand others.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Do you use a cartridge based disk or just a bare disk? I have a couple of panny's myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe E-55s use a bare disc. The older E-20 that I have uses cartridges.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only discs of any kind that I ever found to wobble or vibrate had labels that
    were applied off center......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless there are cracks in the hub
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  20. How about a dirty laser?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I got a new Maxell DVD-RAM disk. I'm less than thrilled.
    Here's the bottom line: I have 3 Panasonic-brand DVD-RAMs. One is so bad it makes the whole tv cabinet vibrate. One is so smooth it doesn't cause any vibration at all. The third one is in between. The new Maxell is like the in-between one. So I'm disappointed in that.
    I threw away the worst disk, and I guess I'll just use the others until the machine vibrates apart. On the other hand, I've never used any other dvd recorders. Do others vibrate when they have a disk in them?

BTW, I did clean the laser when I was in there.

Thanks folks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had a vibration like you're describing, I've only had slight vibration if I played discs with labels that only cover one half of the disc causing a imbalance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My last vibration was caused by the disc touching the tray while it spun. I took it apart and shaved off about a mm worth of tray with a box cutter.
    Quote Quote