VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hello all,

i decided i wanted to set up a home server so i could access files from school, etc.

I followed the steps on http://lifehacker.com/130806/how-to-set-up-a-home-ftp-server and it was finished successfully. I can access my home server via localhost.

my problem is I cant get to it through my ip address.

My internet connection is as follows: Modem -> vonage adapter -> belkin wireless router -> pc

I set up the vonage adapter to forward port 80 to the router, and i set up the router to forward port 80 to my pc, yet i still can not access it. any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FTP doesn't use port 80, that's for web servers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What he said.

FTP is normally port 21.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gooberguy View Post
    I set up the vonage adapter to forward port 80 to the router, and i set up the router to forward port 80 to my pc, yet i still can not access it. any ideas?
    Port 21 is the normal ftp port, but you can assign what ever port you want to it (420). Specify the outgoing port in your ftp software and match that port in your ftp program (ftp://192.168.1.1:420). Doubtful your ISP will allow incoming connections on most common ports. You can disable what firewalls you have and run a test at GRC to see which ports are open.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    Port 21 is the normal ftp port, but you can assign what ever port you want to it (420). Specify the outgoing port in your ftp software and match that port in your ftp program (ftp://192.168.1.1:420). Doubtful your ISP will allow incoming connections on most common ports. You can disable what firewalls you have and run a test at GRC to see which ports are open.
    My experience has been the opposite; the couple of ISPs I've been involved with all have the standart ports (FTP, Telnet etc) opened up and block all non-standard ports. I have however seen a few that block the standard SMTP ports 25 & 110 to prevent spamming.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    from my understanding a home server is different from ftp. i am not even using an ftp client, just accessing the server via web browser. you cannot upload files to this server.

edit: either way opening up 21 didn't work =\

edit2: but i'm definitely doing something wrong because that grc website reports on port 80 AND 21

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
    Last edited by gooberguy; 17th Feb 2010 at 07:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ISPs can't block too many ports -- the Internet is bigger than web, email and FTP.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote