VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings to all readers!

Does anybody of you know of any data video DVD burning software that allows for multisession burning and that also allows for file burning into specific folders that are already on the DVDR (for example, folders from the first session)? For the latter, I mean something that lets me decide where to record the file onto the DVDR, whether that be into a specific folder or, if the case may be, as an independent file outside of all folders.

The only software I know that does this, or at least that explicitly mentions this feature, is "Data Burner SDK ActveX 3.0" here:

http://www.viscomsoft.com/products/databurner/features.html

Nonetheless, this software works on CDR's only, and it is too expensive for me at USD 120.00 . Are you familiar with any cheaper or even free alternatives that work on DVDR's?

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
    D-Makberto
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, again!

For those who could benefit with an answer, I would like to share with you the solution I found, namely using "Live File System" with Microsoft's Windows Vista or Microsoft's Windows 7. I don't have yet any computer with Windows Vista or Windows 7, but I hope to buy one this year. In any way, "Live File System" formats any CD-R or CD-RW or any DVD-R/DVD+R or DVD-RW/DVD+RW so that incremental packets can be written to the disc from the hard drive via "drag and drop". This allows users to create, modify, and delete files and directories on demand in different sessions if so desired. A session can be closed so that only the rest of the disc can be added files and so in subsequent sessions. In a similar manner, a session can remain unclosed after finishing it so that the whole disc (the unclosed session and the rest of the disc) can be added files and so in subsequent sessions. If a disc is planned to be used without closing any sessions, it is advised that either a CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW be recorded since none to these discs have to be closed to be compatible with other computers. Conversely, a CD-R or DVD-R or DVD+R have to be closed to be compatible with other computers.

In point of actuality, while Microsoft calls this method of recording "Live File System", this is known elsewhere as "Packet Writing". Different manufacturers have released their own softwares for "Packet Writing"; for instance, there is Roxio's "Drag-to-Disc" (formerly known as "DirectCD"), Nero's "InCD", and Sonic Solutions' "Drive Letter Access". However, for the most part, these softwares have many bugs and incompatibility issues with Microsoft's Windows. For its part, "Live File System" marks the first time that "Packet Writing" is native to Windows, and as such, this provides better compatibility for Windows users.

I hope this information has been useful.

Any comments are more than welcome!

Thumbs up,

Carlos Albert
    D-Makberto
    Last edited by Disco Makberto; 17th Feb 2010 at 23:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Ripping??? No moving you our computer section.
    Quote Quote  
  4. All well, Baldrick!

Any comments from this other forum?

Carlos Albert
    D-Makberto
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Multisession DVD Burner and Burning Files into Specific Folders
    Prassi ONES can do the trick, and very well.
    (NO packet writing, just actual multi-session recording).
    Sadly ImgBurn doesn't support multisession.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think Packet writing is best reserved for post-office's and birthdays! As a technology I reckon its had its day. Its far easier these days, to just write and re-write complete std DVD images onto re-writable discs. I used to use packet writing and had so many data failures I gave up on it. Plus the speed aspect (Too slow) and the loss of data space (2/7ths approx) and you had to make sure the recipient had the correct software running on their machine. Worthy try, but give me a flash drive or a burnt DVD, for compatibility, any day
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot use multi-session for DVD-Video -- just data.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all replies!

El Heggunte, unfortunately, Prassi Ones Web-site does not mention how to do multi-session recording. Do you have a short how-to?

RabiDog says,

"Its far easier these days, to just write and re-write complete std DVD images onto re-writable discs."

And I agree with you, if you mean a disc-to-disc copy. But that is not what I intend. I am talking about files, a music video clip file, for instance, to be recorded onto the disc. Then, record another file a different day. (Please refer to my first post for detailed explanation if you want).

Have you tried "Live File Disc"? It has been said that this method is supposed to be better as opposed to traditional packet writing.

"and you had to make sure the recipient had the correct software running on their machine".

The recipient is myself, no one else.

"Worthy try, but give me a flash drive or a burnt DVD, for compatibility, any day".

I agree, but if I can read a "Live File System" disc on my computer, that is more than enough compatability for me".

LordSmurf says:

"You cannot use multi-session for DVD-Video -- just data."

Indeed, LordSmurf! I believe "Live File System" uses different versions of UDF as data.

Thumbs up,

Carlos Albert
    D-Makberto
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Disco Makberto View Post
    El Heggunte, unfortunately, Prassi Ones Web-site does not mention how to do multi-session recording. Do you have a short how-to?
    Select the mode "Incremental, Open".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks, El Heggunte! The trick again is not to close any sessions because I'll be adding files to both old and new sessions. I will be comparing this "real burning" method to the "Live File System" method when I get my new computer.

Thanks again,

Carlos Albert
    D-Makberto
    Quote Quote