VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to use ffmpegX to convert various video clips for viewing on a PSP. The program appears to run perfectly, importing and converting all formats I've tried (MPEG2, MPEG1, MPEG4, MOV etc., etc., etc.!)... however the conversion process takes only about a second to complete, and the resulting files are all zero KB. I cant open any of them in quicktime, and when I transfer them to the PSP they show up in the movies list but don't play, giving me a corrupted file message instead.

I've tried using another program on my old PC but that doesn't work it either. How hard can it be??!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks a mill'
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thought I had it figured out after searching another thread, which points to a problem with audio. The files I'm trying to convert don't have audio, so after unchecking the "encode audio" button under the audio tab, it converted a file that Quicktime can open, but the PSP now says it's unreadable, so my problem continues under a different guise.

Aslo, theres no Thumbnail image for the file on my PSP, just a generic graphic.

Thanks for any insights..
    Last edited by Peter Sarkisian; 14th Feb 2010 at 15:48. Reason: Thought problem was fixed but its not
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cant seem to convert anything that works. The PSP (XviD) setting wont play on the PSP, and the PSP H264 just gives me a failed message when converting. Here are several post-conversion info messages:

- "Info" message following unplayable PSP XviD MP4 conversion (note, this file plays fine using quicktime, but wont play on the PSP:

"... 1 video MPEG-4 Unknown Profile(0), 15.081 secs, 0 kbps, 320x240 @ 29.97 fps"

- "Info" message following PSP H264 Failed conversion:

"Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)"

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the PSP wants movie clips to have a video track and an audio track to see them as valid movie files?
    The PSP H.264 preset in ffmpegX surely wants an audio track; it says so in the log:
    [psp @ 0x4701fc]PSP mode need one video and one audio stream
    Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)
    Maybe you could add a silent audio track [1] to your source file, maybe then ffmpegX converts fine and the output will be readable by the PSP?

[1] You could use Audacity to generate silence for the same length as the video, save it as WAV, and add that to your video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Ill try that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case - that fixed the problem! Lesson learned: the PSP needs audio - and that audio needs to be properly mapped.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote