VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded the newest driver for the nvidia 8600..Which is like a year old now..I have an HP 9500T Laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit with nvidida 8600 video card...Sometimes I would get the old blue screen crash and dump when viewing certain dvds..So I checked nvidia's website and got this driver and now I can't even watch dvds in the windows media player 11..I like to use it and other players work like the built in Quickplay.. I thought it was the codec but I am not sure what to do..I have tried a couple things installing codec packages and what nOT..Downloaded the new Divx 7 package and it gave me back avi and some files will now play..But some are s till a green blank...Also the dvd playback won't even do that or play sound..It kinda starts and everything freezes and its just black..The WMP locks up and becomes un responsive...Have shut it down and start over..I was thinking of going back to the old nvidia driver that I had but now sure how to do this.. I downloaded K lite codec pack installed it..It plays everything with the classic player but when set it back to use the Media Player 11 it is the samething... Funny thing is I have several video clips on my laptop and the media player will play the mpeg and avi clips fine..And it will play some WMV files fine..But other WMV clips it doesn't play..You get the sound but just a green square in place of the video.. When I try to play dvds with it now the WMP recongnizes the dvd but when you play it the thing just stop responding and freezes..Usually have to shut the player down and re-open it to use it again.. I also downloaded the 64 bit version codec pack but haven't installed it yet..Don't see that it would really help? Also noticed when the pack installed it said it was enabling the internal mpeg2 decoder... This sucks....And I have read quite a bit about problems with this pacticular model of hp laptop and the nvidia 8600 card...Seems there was compatibility issues with both sides blaming each other..I sometimes would get the fail screen and the driver would fail..Thats why I checked their web page for a new driver..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the current driver for that card is only a couple months old. should be v195.62 i believe.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Actually its 196.21 Thanks for letting me know I am downloading it now...The 64 bit version..The download before took me to a page on Nvidia's website with an older driver

Quote Quote  
  4. Well guess what I went back to the old driver from december 2008 and everything works fine. I tried to install newer drivers like the above and always get an error message saying it couldn't find compatible hardware..So I guess I will keep using this old one.
    Quote Quote