VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to buy this item : Netgear WPN824 108Mpbs Wireless Router & USB Adapter WPN111 from UK and I would like to know if it will work in Finland? Am I going to have any issues connecting it here?
    It's mentioned in the specification that the following: Localisation: English / United Kingdom
    Does it mean that it will only work in UK?

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some areas seem to use different channels for WiFi transmission, so you might want to check into that. Probably someone here is familiar with WiFi in Finland and the UK. AFAIK, just channels above 11 vary by county. The lower channels seem to be universal. It may also be possible that some types of WiFi encryption may not be permitted in some countries.

From: http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	384
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course ... but you do realize it's only a wireless router

Useful to help share single internet connection to multiple devices and create localized share network

You still require a modem
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Some areas seem to use different channels for WiFi transmission, so you might want to check into that. Probably someone here is familiar with WiFi in Finland. AFAIK, just channels above 11 vary by county. The lower channels seem to be universal. It may also be possible that some types of WiFi encryption may be illegal in some countries.

From: http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

[Attachment 384 - Click to enlarge]
    So does it mean that it works? Do you want me to write here also the other specs, will that help?+

- Product Description: NETGEAR WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router - wireless router - with NETGEAR WPN111 RangeMax Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
    - Device Type: Wireless router + 4-port switch (integrated)
    - Form Factor: External
    - Dimensions (WxDxH): 22.3 cm x 15.3 cm x 3.1 cm
    - Weight: 0.5 kg
    - Data Transfer Rate: 108 Mbps
    - Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
    - Routing Protocol: RIP-1, RIP-2, static IP routing
    - Data Link Protocol: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, 802.11 Super G
    - Network / Transport Protocol: TCP/IP, PPTP, UDP/IP, L2TP, ICMP/IP, IPSec, PPPoE
    - Remote Management Protocol: HTTP
    - Included Accessories: Vertical stand
    - Features: Firewall protection, DMZ port, auto-sensing per device, dynamic IP address assignment , DHCP support, NAT support, auto-negotiation, auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X), Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), DoS attack prevention, manageable, Intrusion Detection System (IDS), E-mail alert, VPN passthrough, URL filtering, firmware upgradable, Smart MIMO technology
    - Compliant Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    - System Requirements: UNIX, Apple MacOS, Novell NetWare, Linux, Microsoft Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Of course ... but you do realize it's only a wireless router

Useful to help share single internet connection to multiple devices and create localized share network

You still require a modem
    I don't know anything about this stuff, so my question will be quite stupid: why do I need a modem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The router just distributes the signal to your computers. You still need a source for the signal. If you are using cable for the internet, you need a cable modem. It's usually supplied by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). If you are using DSL over the phone line, the ISP will also likely supply the modem. They may just rent it to you with a monthly charge, or you may be able to buy one, or it may be included free. Depends on the ISP.

The modem hooks to the cable or the phone line and is set up to receive the internet signals and it plugs into the router and the router distributes it to your computers. Some modems also have routers built in, again, depends on the ISP. We have Quest DSL around here and their modems have an incorporated router and WiFi setup. I have two ISPs, so I have two modems and two routers, both routers have WiFi.
    Last edited by redwudz; 14th Feb 2010 at 04:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The router just distributes the signal to your computers. You still need a source for the signal. If you are using cable for the internet, you need a cable modem. It's usually supplied by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). If you are using DSL over the phone line, the ISP will also likely supply the modem. They may just rent it to you with a monthly charge, or you may be able to buy one, or it may be included free. Depends on the ISP.

The modem hooks to the cable or the phone line and is set up to receive the internet signals and it plugs into the router and the router distributes it to your computers. Some modems also have routers built in, again, depends on the ISP. We have Quest DSL around here and their modems have an incorporated router and WiFi setup. I have two ISPs, so I have two modems and two routers, both routers have WiFi.
    Thanks for the info! I will check a bit better...
    Quote Quote