VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I'm new to the Pro/prosumer Camcorder market and I need help selecting a new video camera.
    I'm looking at getting the Canon XHA1s (because of the features it offers, footage quality and the good name it has) but the more I search the internet the more I read about how Mini DV is going "out of fashion" in the technology world.

I'm yet to find a Video camera with the quality of the XHA1s but a Flash memory version. I know Sony just brought out the HDR-AX2000 but it records to 'memory stick duo'. Does anyone know a flash based video camera that has about the same manual control features and inputs+outputs as the Canon XHA1s or am I better to stick with the XHA1s?
    I really don't know what to do.

Basically I'm going to use it for a range of projects from documentary's to short film making,
    I need it to have XLR inputs (so I can run a RODE NTG-1 mic)
    and I most defiantly want 3x CCD or CMOS chips

any help would be great!
    Thanks,
    Zano.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at Sony Z5 or Z7. Both can record to compact flash cards and have all of the pro features you are looking for. I have both, they are great cameras!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't think the sony's are even in the ballpark of the xha1. a single 1/3 inch cmos sensor vs. 3 - 1/3 inch ccds? i use cmos HDV cams but the ccds have so many fewer issues. the worst being i hate having to plan everything around the cmos rolling shutter

the interchangeable lens system on the z7 would be a nice feature to have i'll give it that.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't mention your budget, but you can't go wrong with The PMW-EX1R utilizes three 1/2-inch type Exmor™ CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 (H) x 1080 (V):
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-xdcam/product-PMWEX1R/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would argue that HDV still has plenty of life left in it, at least enough to warrant 1 more camera cycle.

Look at the still very solid Sony Z1 as a possible option, for what you expect of it I still think it as a fantastic camera. If you have a smaller budget then the HVR-V1 is a great camera for the money as well, but there are more options at that budget level. We still use both where I work and are happy to continue with HDV as a stable workflow. We have more issues with the flash disk workflow at the moment than the HDV flow. Not to say that the move isnt a good thing, it is, just wanted to clear up that HDV isn't as past as you might think.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't think the sony's are even in the ballpark of the xha1. a single 1/3 inch cmos sensor vs. 3 - 1/3 inch ccds? i use cmos HDV cams but the ccds have so many fewer issues. the worst being i hate having to plan everything around the cmos rolling shutter

The Z5 and Z7 are 3 cmos, never had the rolling shutter issue and images are stunning. I would put them in ball park above the Canon. Very solid units.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the reviews on the z7 rolling shutter cmos problem are mixed, some claim it's there and some not. strange as it's a chip type problem, in that cmos chips are "read" sequentially from top pixels to bottom, not all at once.

if you shoot set shots from a tripod you would never see it, as it is only evident as skew in moving objects.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote