VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am attempting to clear off my dvr and capture some of the shows I've recorded, quality is not too important, as long as it's close to just using a video tape

My dvd player will play divix dvd's so I was hoping that I could capture straight to divix and not have to encode or anything, that way after 2 hours of recording I can just copy the file to a dvd, I have already tried this with a recording I downloaded in divix format and I can play it back with no problem

I'm trying my best to find a way to do this in the shortest amount of time, I know I will have to capture in real time (average of 2 hours each show), I'm trying to avoid having to encode (which with playing with the basic encoders apparently at best is real time)

My tuner card's software has multiple settings for mpeg2, avi, mpeg4 and custom (of course I don't have it handy to look at and post the actual model number)

Or is there any capture software that will record to divix on the fly?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Divx/xvid is mpeg4 so the mpeg4 option might work fine. Or else can you try virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your capture card doesn't have a hardware MPEG 4 ASP (Divx/Xvid) encoder chip, to compress on-the-fly while capturing you'll have to use setting which don't give great compression. You'll also have to use interlace mode which is another hit on compression and not always handled properly by players.
    Quote Quote