VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to learn how to to turn a DVD to a high quality video for the Playstation Portable system using the highest quality codec(which I think is AVC codec) and the best freeware prorgrams around. So if anyone is familiar to Avi Synth scripts and if he can write up a handy script to use every time to encode psp videos, may he help me out
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Xvid4PSP looks fine but I would rather choose Avi synth. Some things need to be done in the traditional way
    Quote Quote  
  3. AviSynth is not an encoder. It's a filtering and frameserving mechanism.

Use DgIndex to make an indexfile then:

Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    LacnzosResize(suitable size for PSP)

Beyond that, what you want to do depends on the particulars of the source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ppeterr View Post
    Xvid4PSP looks fine but I would rather choose Avi synth. Some things need to be done in the traditional way
    XviD2PSP uses AviSynth. You're not making a whole lot of sense. You can edit the script as much as you like to add in your favorite flters. What XviD4PSP is especially good at is using encoding settings so that the output will play on the PSP.
    So if anyone is familiar to Avi Synth scripts and if he can write up a handy script to use every time to encode psp videos, may he help me out
    Just study the scripts that XviD4PSP creates for you. Then if you feel the need to do it yourself you'll have template scripts to guide you. Anyway, as jagabo said, one script doesn't fit all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK I guess I will go with XVID4PSP since it seems pretty good. Once I have some good scripts going, I will be inputing them in Virtual Dub and do the encodes. Thanks for the tips and all the help
    Quote Quote  
  6. new problem. I tried using xviv4psp. It's video encoding seems great on some audio only encodes I did,but I want to make some subtitled videos for the psp. Apparently Xvid4psp doesn't take the subtitles off a dvd so I have to use another program to extract the subtitles. I tried using PgcDemux,VSRip but still xvid4psp can't read them for some reason. With Vobsub it does read them but in the preview I see not subtitles on,so they won't probably be on when I will be previewing them on my playstation portabl system. In addition once I open the idx file(the one created from VobSub) with Aegisub there are no subtitles Just an empty line. Am I doing something wrong?
    EDIT Specifically the black screen says with red letters "TextSub: Can't open "D:\VTS_01_0.sub" (D:\Temp\preview.avs,line 17)
    Last edited by ppeterr; 8th Jul 2010 at 07:41.
    Quote Quote  
  7. TextSub is for text-based subs. If using VobSubs, then you use VobSub. You can't open an IDX or a SUB (image based) using TextSub. I don't know if that's the cause of all your problems, but it's the reason behind the error message you quoted.

Aegisub doesn't open VobSubs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Apparently xvid4psp is using VirtualDub's functions Aegisub should though be able to open idx subtitle files...but it doesn't
    Now the questions is,what the hell to do now? I hate SubRip. I tried to go the OCR way with it and it appears that it was taking a letter's print as multiple letters :S Go figure :P I used the idx file with subrip. I don't remember any other way of OCRing...
    And there is another problem. The dvd apparently has two subtitle tracks. One of them is english and is for the episodes and another one is used for the opening song(the karaoke)although in the dvd it appears as one and only english subtitle track.
    It's an anime dvd,specifically One Piece.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ppeterr View Post
    Apparently xvid4psp is using VirtualDub's functions
    Meaning? It uses AviSynth scripts. Edit the .avs to load the VSFilter.dll and add in the VobSub line correctly and the subs should show up. Save the edited .avs and open it in VDub(Mod) to see if it's a good script.
    Aegisub should though be able to open idx subtitle files...but it doesn't.
    Why should it? Because you say it should?
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Aegisub doesn't open VobSubs.
    One of them is english and is for the episodes and another one is used for the opening song(the karaoke)although in the dvd it appears as one and only english subtitle track.
    It's an anime dvd,specifically One Piece.
    Part of the sub track may be forced. What, specifically, is the problem? You get too much or not enough?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I meant that it's using vdub textsub function which is very incovienient in my case. How do I edit the avs script to load the VSFilter.dll and add in the VobSub line correctly? Apparenlty I can't tell if I am getting to much or not enough since I can't open the subtitle file. :P :S What I am guessing is that the karaoke subtitles(the one's that appear on the opening of every episode) won't be appearing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ppeterr View Post
    How do I edit the avs script to load the VSFilter.dll and add in the VobSub line correctly?
    In XviD4PSP? In the version I have it's AviSynth->Edit filtering script.

Then you can add some variation of:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\VSFilter.dll")

at the top, and:

VobSub("C:\Path\To\Video.idx")

somewhere in the script. You can also copy and paste the script into your own .avs to open in VDub(Mod) which will give out with an error message if something's wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend giving format factory a try. It is straight forward but does have customization options. It also has subtitle support. Though since I don't use it too frequently I am not fully versed in its functions. But it can hardcorde subtitles in and are viewable on the psp (I've used it for anime stuff that has subtitles and does a good job of hardcoding).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote