VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I will try to keep this as short as humanly possible. I have a problem. I have created this problem all by myself, and I feel pretty ashamed turning to you guys (who are more skilled in this area then I am).

I am currently working on a project witch includes several types of video/other formats. Videos from cellphones, PAL SD clips, HDV clips, Pictures etc. No need to explain why, but the mixing of different quality’s is pretty much the idea of the whole project. I work in Vegas 9 and DVD Architect 4.5.

The formats I plan to be using is.

DV SD Clips
    720/576
    Lower field first

M2TS Clips (Succesfully converted to .AVI since my computer couldn’t handle them)
    720/576
    Lower field first

Cellphone videos
    Random sizes
    Probably different field orders too.

HDV Clips (filmed with a SONY HDR – HC5E Camcorder)
    1440x1080
    Lower field first (apparently, Atleast Vegas tells me they are)

Before even starting to edit I wanted to make sure that the files were possible to keep on the same timeline and that the DVD output would look ok. So, I made a little montage containing every filetype stated above. So far, everything great. 12 hours later Ive tried virtually every setting when putting my file out of Vegas and into Architect. I also tried atleast 20 different settings in Architect. Problem is, I don’t know enough about what Iam doing. Everything looks great (considering the circumstances), expect one thing. THE SONY HDR – HC5E HDV CLIPS WONT STOP INTERLACE FLICKERING. I have now 30 test-burned dvd´s sitting in front of me, and the HDV clips flicker on every single one.

I now turn to you. It would be soooo very awesome if someone would like to share a little knowledge here. I would be forever grateful. I really don’t want to convert the hdv clips. I converted the M2TS files to regular DV, and I did hope that was all. Thanks so much for reading this! Please find it in your heart to save my brain. Iam losing it.

Thank you soooo much!
    Have a nice day!

/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV is upper/top field first
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, M2ts from AVCHD source is top field first but if you encode your own, you can make it either top or bottom.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANKS!

My HDV clips are labeld by Vegas as Lower field first. This is weird. They are filmed with a Sony Camera. I tried right clicking them and changing their properteries to the correct field order. Not sure what that would accomplish. I burned another test dvd (MPEG 2 Lower field first export from Vegas into Architect without recompression) and the flicker is still very noticealbe. The clip-properteries tab has a "Reduce Interlace flicker" option, but I am not certain that is the way to go. I want to solve this for real. Thanks som much for replying. Iam testing every setting I can think of as we speak.
    Last edited by storhuvve; 13th Feb 2010 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think what you are talking about might be "interline twitter". Just about the only thing you can do in practice it is apply a vertical blur, which obviously has it's own drawbacks

The only way to "solve it" is to use a progressive format. Some players and TV's may apply post processing or blurring which may help

You can read up on it here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace#Interline_twitter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greets from MacWorld. "Interline Twitter" is a new one for me.

But I'd suggest you start over with the correct field order. I don't see how these camcorders can produce excess vertical resolution unless you are downsizing.

I go deinterlace to progressive only as a last resort.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!!

I think i have MAYBE solved it. Vegas has an option to right click each clip and set its properties individually. This is where I noticed that the HDV clips were labeled as "Lower field first" by the way. Tried changing it to "Upper" with no luck. Still flickering on the dvd. Then I did set the field order to "None progressive" in the individual clip properties, and checked the box that said "Reduce interlace flicker" (also individual clip settings). Rendered it as MPEG 2 Lower field first, Put in to Architect and burned on DVD. Suddenly, flicker is almost invisible.

Sad thing here is that I dont really know what I am doing. I dont like when that happends. Anyone care to explain why in the world these settings worked out for me?

Once again, Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by storhuvve View Post
    Anyone care to explain why in the world these settings worked out for me?
    "Reduce interlace flicker" applies a blur, but of course, you lose sharpness and fine detail.

As EdDV suggested, I wouldn't deinterlace either, because that brings it's own problems and issues (especially if you use vegas for deinterlacing, you will get nasty jaggies and deinterlacing artifacts)

The issue here is shooting interlaced content , and the DVD-video standard
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 14th Feb 2010 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote