VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I have a very simple question. I have 3 seasons of a tv show on my hard drive that i would like to put on DVD, the files are in .avi format, now conversion is not a problem, i was going to acquire "Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter" to convert them to a format usable in a DVD player. My Issue is how to put how ever many will fit on disc but being able to 1. make them continuously play one after another. or 2. make them each a chapter so i can just skip to the next one. All help is greatly appreciated.
    Governments should be afraid of the people, not the other way around
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't bother 'acquiring' Xilisoft. There are several free converters that will do a far better job that Xilisoft, which is, IMO, rubbish at any price.

The only payware product I believe is worth consideration is ConvertXtoDVD.

Of the free alternatives, I like and use AVStoDVD, which is maintained regularly and well supported here by it's author. It uses the excellent HCEnc encoder and does a very good job. After that you might consider DVD Flick, or learning how to do the encoding and authoring manually.

As for how much can fit on a disc - that is up to you. You can put up to 7+ hours on a single layer DVD, if you are happy with low quality. Normally, 2 hours is about the limit for reasonable quality, however because most downloaded material is already quality compromised, you can stretch it to a bit longer. If these are standard 42 - 50 minute episodes, then 3 to a disc is reasonable. More than that will affect encoding quality.

The rest of your question is simply to do with how you author the disc. Each tool has different options, but most support playing from one title to the next.

Personally, I long ago decided that the best option was a player that could play the avi files. No conversion, no quality loss. And I could fit a whole lot more on a disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ill try the avstodvd and as for the player it would most likely be played on a ps2 or xbox 360 or the dvd player in my car "jensen 9412" the quality of the shows is actually very good considering that i downloaded them
    Governments should be afraid of the people, not the other way around
    Quote Quote