VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know there are a 1,000 posts on this but I can't seem to find one that works perfectly. I'll tell you what I've tried. I'm desperate here and my family will soon disown me as I am becoming Dr. Frankenstein-like in my quest for getting this right.

I have older 4:3 dvds that after some researching, I know where shot on 35mm film with a spherical cinematic process, so cropping is a possibility and many early widescreen dvds that were not anamorphic.

I have tried DVD Rebuilder. It works well, but I do have some instances on watching where a scene or two have interlacing in them and I can't seem to get rid of them after repeated attempts even with the CCE encoder or using the deinterlace setting.

I have ripped the dvd to my hd and then taken it through AutoGK (at 75%) making it an AVI file, then putting it through ConvertXtoDVd and trying to frame it properly in the 16:9 video window. This seems to work well, although I do appear to get some artifacting in dark scenes (which i assume is from converting to an AVI file. (although, it seems on Hybrid films, there is some jerky movement in some motion scenes - not all but some.

I have tried to use scripting in AviSynth with VirtualDub, but I got lost with all the scripting..but I can be taught - on a fourth grade level unfortunately...

Anyhew, any help on this would be greatly appeciated. I just want my 4:3's to be 16:9 anamorphic and explained to me in laymen terms for the most part. Am I way off on this? Is there hope?? I apologize for being such a Newb on this...

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You have already tried everything I was going to recommend, here's a thread that might help:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313122-Letterbox-4-3-to-Anamorphic-16-9
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by CoachSerpico View Post
    I have tried DVD Rebuilder. It works well, but I do have some instances on watching where a scene or two have interlacing in them and I can't seem to get rid of them after repeated attempts even with the CCE encoder or using the deinterlace setting.
    DVD-Rebuilder just returns it to you as it was on the DVD. If there was interlacing in the source (perhaps at chapter changes or elsewhere in the video), there will be interlacing in the output.

If you're also using the deinterlacer in DVD-RB (a very bad idea because it deinterlaces everything, the non-interlaced as well as the interlaced parts), are you sure it's really interlacing you see, and not aliasing/stairstepping caused by the increase in resolution and the lousy source resolution? Widescreen 4:3 DVDs can't really be successfully be converted to 16:9. There's just not enough resolution in the source. In most cases you'll get pretty much the same result by using the zoom in the player or TV set. You can't just create resolution out of thin air.

An example from the source where you see interlacing afterwards might help to pinpoint the problem. And maybe from the output as well. And the full script it's using. If you don't know how to cut small 10 second pieces, load a VOB into DGIndex and use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section. Then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono, first let me bring forth many thanks to you as you have helped me numerous times with your knowledge of subjects. So, thank you, for all you do.

In the case of using DVD-RB, one such scene (it was the only scene I remembered), for just a split second, I saw the combing effect. I believe that's interlacing, correct? When I do notice these, they are for just that - a split second. Playing the source it didn't show up, however on the output, it did. I kind of thought that maybe I should just be happy that 98.5% of the movie is good should be fine, but I always like to know why.

Is incremental zoom becoming dying feature on DVD player nowadays? I have three and only on has it. But that sure makes it easier to watch than go through all this for an anamorphic movie. Are there DVD players out there today that still have it on them?

Uhh, I can try what you suggested and if I can get it to work I'll upload the M2V here. Is it okay to do that seeing my non-anamorphic dvd is from a major movie company? Don't want to get anybody in trouble or get myself kicked off this site. Is it okay to even name titles even if they're DVDs that I own personally?

Thanks for the reply...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by CoachSerpico View Post
    In the case of using DVD-RB, one such scene (it was the only scene I remembered), for just a split second, I saw the combing effect. I believe that's interlacing, correct?
    It sure sounds like it, yes. And you're playing this in the standalone DVD player outputting to an HDTV, I assume? You'll never see any interlacing on a regular old 4:3 CRT set. Well, never say never, but you shouldn't see any. Again, samples would be very helpful.
    Is incremental zoom becoming dying feature on DVD player nowadays? I have three and only on has it. But that sure makes it easier to watch than go through all this for an anamorphic movie. Are there DVD players out there today that still have it on them?
    The Oppos have them, although I never use the feature. If it's widescreen 4:3 I just put up with it, all the while cursing the DVD company that didn't encode it as 16:9. And if you're using a widescreen TV set, doesn't it have a zoom itself you can get at with your remote control?
    Is it okay to do that seeing my non-anamorphic dvd is from a major movie company?
    No problem. The fair use laws allow for passing around of small samples.
    Is it okay to even name titles even if they're DVDs that I own personally?
    Sure. Maybe it'll embarrass the company if any employees read this. Many DVDs were released as 4:3 in the early days of DVD, with better quality 16:9 versions being released years later.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. I have an example of a section of MGM's 'The Dark Half' Full Screen that I'm converting/cropping to 16:9 (curse you movie studios that do this to these movies - and while you're at MGM would it kill you for a anamorphic version of The Incredible Melting Man! Gee, it's got effects from Rick Baker. Germany has it, why not us. Please take a page from Shout Factory! Look what they're doing with the classics i.e. Humanoids, Piranha and Galaxy of Terror!)

Now. When I ripped to my HD and made into an AVI with AutoGK, then cropped properly in ConvertXtoDVD and burned to DVD it looked as good as it could.

Now I tried it though DVD Rebuilder. It is a different crop (I think I can adjust with AVS scripting in that part of DVD-RB just don't know how), but the picture looks much worse when burned to DVD. I wouldn't say interlaced, maybe weaved or combing effect throughout the film.

Here's what an AVS file told me:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD-RB\DGDecode.dll")
    mpeg2source("C:\D2VAVS\V01.D2V")
    trim(30309,32819)
    SeparateFields().LanczosResize(720,240,0,30,720,18 0).Weave()
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    AudioDub(BlankClip())

To be honest, I really don't know what all this means but would love to find out.

Here is the m2v file - Sorry. file too big - My bad, I'll do another one. Hopefully some answers can come with what I've got here.

Still working on an example my copy of The Abyss Special Edition's non-anamorphic mess. Will have soon
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, I see. Not only is it widescreen 4:3, but it's hard telecine (the telecine encoded into the video, making it interlaced). That is a good script, but when played on a standalone to a progressive TV set, it'll be deinterlaced one way or another, depending on the quality of the player. Even if played in software (like with PowerDVD or some such) they have deinterlacers that can be turned on.

If you want to remove the interlacing for the DVD (AutoGK will do it automatically for AVI) you'll have to perform an IVTC in the script. This can't be done using DVD-RB because you can't change the framerate. You'll have to do a manual encode. DVD-RB gives it back to you the way it is on the DVD (where AutoGK makes it progressive). If it's interlaced on the DVD it'll be interlaced after the reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Project Report 1: The Dark Half (Full Frame DVD)
    Experiment 1: Ripped DVD to HD. Created AVI file (75%) in AutoGK. Took AVI file into ConvertXtoDVD, cropped to satisfaction and then burned to DVD. Watched on Panasonic DVD-S52 & Samsung 50" Plasma. Decent anamorphic end product from suspect source material.

Project Report 2: The Dark Half (Full Frame DVD)
    Experiment 2: Ripped DVD to HD. Ran through DVD-RB with only AVS setting used "Convert LB 4:3 to 16:9". Burned to DVD. End product was deplorable at best (see manono's preview post).

Project Report 3: The Dark Half (Full Frame DVd)
    Experiment 3: Ripped DVD to HD. Ran through DVD-RB using AVS setttings "Convert LF 4:3 to 16:9" AND "Disable 'interlaced'". Burned to DVD. End product was a slightly tighter crop than my manual crop on Experiment 1 and a slightly sharper picture than Exp 1. Some slight combing between a few chapter stops but nothing that I'll lose sleep over.

Project Report 4: The Abyss Special Edition (Widesceen 4:3 DVD)
    Ran this through DVD-RB AVS settings "Convert to 16:9", "Disable interlace" and "Deinterlace with DECOMB". All had the same result. Combing at certain point in movie (not sure what time it's at but it's near the end when Chris Elliott's character is looking the radar and then yells "There!" and runs to the port bow. As he is running - BAM - there is the combing. The original plays right through it, but my quest to make it anamorphic goes on.. I may run it through AutoGK because I'm that lame just to see what happens...or I may just hit ZOOM and focus on the small victory that I had with the full frame DVDs of 'The Dark Half', 'Parenthood', 'The Paper', 'Intruder', Piranha, The Resurrected, Humanoids from the Deep and others...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CoachSerpico View Post
    I have ripped the dvd to my hd and then taken it through AutoGK (at 75%) making it an AVI file, then putting it through ConvertXtoDVd and trying to frame it properly in the 16:9 video window. This seems to work well,
    You can skip the avi conversion and import the dvd files directly into ConvertX -- by adding the *_0.ifo file -- then resize the video from there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Leftee View Post
    You can skip the avi conversion and import the dvd files directly into ConvertX -- by adding the *_0.ifo file -- then resize the video from there.
    But can ConvertX2DVD also perform an IVTC, which is required to make it progressive again? I don't know as I don't use it. Ordinarily, though, the all-in-one programs (such as DVD-RB) don't allow for a framerate change. Converting to 16:9 is only part of what he wants to do.

However, CoachSerpico, this is easy enough to do manually. Make the D2V with DGIndex with the Field Operation set for Honor Pulldown Flags. Then the script would go something like:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD-RB\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD-RB\TIVTC.dll")#get the TIVTC filter
    mpeg2source("C:\D2VAVS\Movie.D2V")
    TFM().TDecimate()# the IVTC back to progressive 23.976fps
    Crop(0,60,0,-60).Lanczos4Resize(720,480)#the steps necessary to prepare for 16:9 encoding
    ConvertToYUY2()

And encode as 16:9 in CCE.

All this requires you know at least something about how to set up and use AviSynth and CCE.
    Last edited by manono; 11th Feb 2010 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote