VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well i'm coming to vcdhelp for help since it takes long for a response thru dell community. I just received my Alienware Aurora ALX system. Great. It came with 2 WD 500GB HD, raid 0. Now i have 2 WD Velociraptor 300GB 10M RPM HD. According to the manual I'm suppose to just place in the slot the HD SATA and we are good to go. My problem is I can't seem to get the clips to clip when I push the HD in. I tried hard to push HD in, but no luck. I don't know if it's just assembled wrong or what. Does anyone have one of those cases where you can just slip in HD and everything is fine or do I need to eat my spinach and oush harder(which i tried) for them to clip in. Thanks anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065 View Post
    Well i'm coming to vcdhelp for help since it takes long for a response thru dell community. I just received my Alienware Aurora ALX system. Great. It came with 2 WD 500GB HD, raid 0. Now i have 2 WD Velociraptor 300GB 10M RPM HD. According to the manual I'm suppose to just place in the slot the HD SATA and we are good to go. My problem is I can't seem to get the clips to clip when I push the HD in. I tried hard to push HD in, but no luck. I don't know if it's just assembled wrong or what. Does anyone have one of those cases where you can just slip in HD and everything is fine or do I need to eat my spinach and oush harder(which i tried) for them to clip in. Thanks anyone.

Anyone please. I checked manual and i tried to click it in, nothing. Anyone ever had a problem like this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think most of the guys here, like me, build their own. are there slides or something you screw onto the sides of the drives you want to install?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i think most of the guys here, like me, build their own. are there slides or something you screw onto the sides of the drives you want to install?
    They are build in slides, i dot see any screws i can take out. It's so frustrating. Here is the picture of the manual. Hoe that helps the experts.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2-7-2010 1-28-48 PM.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	279  

Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You probably should pull the side covers off and get a better look at the retention mechanism. I've seen a few that you had to move a tab on the retention mechanism before inserting the drive, then move it back to lock the drive in place. Some also add screws to keep the drives from moving once they are inserted. But if they are 'toolless', the drive should just click in there, so it appears there's a problem somewhere.

Does that case also have integrated power and data sockets in the drive bays? Or do you need to hook up cables after you insert the drive?

EDIT: Just saw the diagram. Most of those types of clips have a 'pin' that goes in the side of the drives where the mounting screws go, and that retains the drive. Check to see how those tabs hold the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You probably should pull the side covers off and get a better look at the retention mechanism. I've seen a few that you had to move a tab on the retention mechanism before inserting the drive, then move it back to lock the drive in place. Some also add screws to keep the drives from moving once they are inserted. But if they are 'toolless', the drive should just click in there, so it appears there's a problem somewhere.

Does that case also have integrated power and data sockets in the drive bays? Or do you need to hook up cables after you insert the drive?

EDIT: Just saw the diagram. Most of those types of clips have a 'pin' that goes in the side of the drives where the mounting screws go, and that retains the drive. Check to see how those tabs hold the drive.
    It's suppose to be toolless, and when you add hd drive, at the end of the drive base it's the SATA port, no wire needed. Yes it has the pins at the side of the drives, but no matter how hard(without breaking something) I push, clips don't want to clip on. Thanks for trying to help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the drives are connecting properly to the PC, I would just secure them in there with some sort of temporary adhesive or Velcro. I use a hot glue gun at times to keep drives from sliding around in some of the those 'toolless' setups. It peels off easily if you want to pull the drive, but keeps it in place during normal use/moving.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to me those clips on the sides of the drives in the picture look like they need to be attached to the drive before inserting. those clips look like they slide out with the drive.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If the drives are connecting properly to the PC, I would just secure them in there with some sort of temporary adhesive or Velcro. I use a hot glue gun at times to keep drives from sliding around in some of the those 'toolless' setups. It peels off easily if you want to pull the drive, but keeps it in place during normal use/moving.
    it's nothing to do with having them secure, thanks. I need at least 1/4 inch more to securely attach them into the sata port. But thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    to me those clips on the sides of the drives in the picture look like they need to be attached to the drive before inserting. those clips look like they slide out with the drive.
    I can't slide them out, trust me i tried. But thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are two different model velociraptors...one has the sata and power plugs in the wrong spot so you can't slide it in...the updated version has the plugs in the correct spot...

The updated part number is
    WD3000HLFS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVDDave View Post
    There are two different model velociraptors...one has the sata and power plugs in the wrong spot so you can't slide it in...the updated version has the plugs in the correct spot...

The updated part number is
    WD3000HLFS
    Thanks I will check and see which model I have, perhaps that's the problem. I will get back to you. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked, mine is WD3000GLFSRTL. But it seems like it would line up. Now i'm thinking if i can buy the smallest sata cable, perhaps i can install with cable, push back as much as i can and leave it like that. I just need to remember if i move pc i need to be careful. I will search online to see whats the smallest length i can buy for a sata to cable. If i can but a 1" length, that would do it. Unless someone has a different idea. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The WD3000GLFSRTL is the model you do not want....it is stricly a laptop drive in a heat sink to fit in a 3.5 " bay. This will work if you are using both sata and power cables, the other model I listed, the WD3000HLFSRTL was made to fix that issue....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVDDave View Post
    The WD3000GLFSRTL is the model you do not want....it is stricly a laptop drive in a heat sink to fit in a 3.5 " bay. This will work if you are using both sata and power cables, the other model I listed, the WD3000HLFSRTL was made to fix that issue....
    My luck. I bought them at Compusa when they were still around. I'm trying to find a short 1" OR 2" SATA TO SATA cable, so far i haven't been able to find one if they even do exist.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ypu will also need a cable for power...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what are both cables called. You see i have around 10 cables all I believe is the power one, the other which i can only describe is a bit wider, are connected to power supply. If i wanted to buy that cable, what is is really called, 4 pin, 7 pin, etc. That's the wire i would need and then i can add wires to the HD and into the swap box so that these baby's are connected. Thanks again.

PS a picture would be nice if any one fines one.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i found SATA Power Extension Cable - 300mm at

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8781/cab-164/FrozenCPU_SATA_Power_Extension_Cable_-_...PE01S.htmlthey show the picture. very helpful site and very knowledgeable. I ordered two since i have the no backpane velociraptors.

They should arrive tomorrow. hope that helps if not, i will be very disappointed. I would have to buy thermaltake hd caddys.
    Quote Quote