VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have the VOB files of a hard-to-find DVD and I want to rip this as h264 MKV. I tried many tools to fix the missing IFO/BUP (e g IFOedit) but the only step forward from that point was when I found out that Format Factory was able to convert the VOBs into a 4˝GB AVI. So far so good.

Now, according to Mediainfo (from K-Lite codec pack) applied on the first VOB, it is interlaced anamorphic NTSC. However, when I look through the movie step-by-step (in Media Player Classic), very few frames show combing effects.

Now that I had the giant AVI, I tried using HandBrake. (BTW, Avidemux doesn't work at all: sound out of sync, non-anamorphic etc). I have just used HB successfully on 2 other interlaced anamorphic NTSC DVDs. And at the first look, I thought this one was ok too. But there are two defects:

1) In a sequence which had combing effects in the VOB and AVI, combs have disappeared beautifully, BUT on a few occasions 2 frames in a row are identical
    2) Generally, the movement is jerkier for the MKV than the originals (AVI or VOB) played in MPC. For these parts, there were never any combing effects. I also stepped through a typical jerky sequence in the MKV and AVI in parallel and I can't see any difference in the size of the steps between the frames (e g how far a moving car has moved between 2 frames). (Same thing in VLC.)

I usually used detelecine and decomb (also tried slow deinterlacing), and tried varying misc other parameters in HB, like forcing to 23.976fps.

The HB log reports that of the 150000 frames only 50 were deinterlaced and 400 blended. For the other interlaced NTSC DVDs I ripped these figures were much higher.

So the original is a bit odd and converting it to an AVI seems like a funny step I'm sure. But that does not explain why the AVI moves smoother in MPC, and why HB insists on making a few frames identical (which had combing effects).

I read here about a problem that might be related: "If you always see pairs of nearly identical frames you have out-of-phase PAL". I assume he's talking about if the deinterlacing tool assumes the VOB has the bottom field or the top field first. I saw on the Yadif page (Yadif is what HB uses) that it since 2007 is possible to set a parameter "order" to 0 or 1 to force it to assume bottom or top first. But I can't set this parameter in the HB GUI I think. (I've downloaded the CLI and will try it there too.)

Another thing I don't have an answer to is whether MPC does some detelecining automatically when I play the original VOB or AVI in it. Because when I single step these files in MPC, I can count only ~24 frames/sec. But there really should be ~30fps at this stage (and if I open these files in Avidemux, there are ~30frames/sec). MPC uses default settings for most things in K-Lite codec pack, I don't think I've seen anything about detelecining there. I also tried switching h264 codec in K-Lite, etc.

Considering I've only been ripping to h264 for two weeks, I think I've run into a pretty odd and tough problem! This is also my first post at videohelp. Hope somebody out there has seen this or has any ideas.

I play it on an HTPC with WinXP SP3 and view it on an LCD TV.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose maybe so many rushed to help the system got blocked..?

Found a solution: Buy the DVD, it's on sale anyway.
    Quote Quote