VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wondered if u could help me, Ive been using TMPGEnc for a while now, but recentally when i try to make a DVD From a AVI
    its not smooth, every 3seconds theres a slight jump, and its annoying to watch, .. now im guessing its the framerate thats not in sync, but how do i fix this.? on a normal Avi its usually 23fps, do i just up that to 25fps or 29fps to solve it.?
    Or is it just a problem with TMPGEnc.? while we are on the subject, Which is the best DVDAuthor program?
    I like TMPGEnc cos its simple but i cant use it if its jerky!!
    Cheers..

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    btw, .. ive read some similar threads in here and its not my comp, .. its smooth when i play the Avi, but when ive converted it to DVD and play it on my DVD Player its jerky ...

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mozzy31 View Post
    ...and play it on my DVD Player...
    You never mentioned that originally. Have you tried that same DVD disc on your PC?

As DVD has specific framerates (25 PAL, 29.97 NTSC, 23.976 NTSC with pulldown - see WHAT IS DVD on left menu) if may be you've converted a non-standard disc that a PC can cope with but a hardware player can't!

Trev

Search Comp PM
    Post a mediainfo of the source avi and the encoded VOB. You say the avi plays smoothly on the PC, but you don't say if the converted DVD does as well.

My guess, based on the very little information you have given, would be a bad format conversion from NTSC to PAL. Chances are your DVD player will play both, so you should keep NTSC source material as NTSC when converting to DVD.
    Read my blog here.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies, .. First, i converted a HD HOME MVK to DVD and it was jumpy, ( i did this one at work too on another computer using TMPGEnc thats why i assumed it was TMPGEnc) then ive tried to convert the new Avatar avi and its still jumpy,
    although i did download a avatar dvd that someone else had converted and it WASNT jumpy . soo, all it seems to lead to is TMPGEnc .? Or .. am i wrong .?
    Ive uploaded a mediainfo of the Avatar avi ..
    Cheers ..
    Image Attached Files

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Post a mediainfo of the source avi and the encoded VOB. You say the avi plays smoothly on the PC, but you don't say if the converted DVD does as well.

My guess, based on the very little information you have given, would be a bad format conversion from NTSC to PAL. Chances are your DVD player will play both, so you should keep NTSC source material as NTSC when converting to DVD.
    Soo, what u are saying is .. if id kept the HD HOME NTSC MKV to HD HOME NTSC DVD and not PAL it wouldnt be jumpy.?

Search Comp PM
    Depending on how tmpgenc does the conversion. I know that ConvertXtoDVD and AVStoDVD used the pulldown method for 23.976 fps to 25 fps material, so no jumpiness. Conversion of 29.970 fps material will either drop frames or ghost frames to get down to 25 fps.

In any case, format conversion should be a last resort measure. If your player can handle NTSC, keep it NTSC.

And don't talk about warez in the forum.
    Read my blog here.

8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just wait until avatar is released on dvd. Problem solved.