VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason, when I encoded a 16:9 DVD video to AVI with Virtualdub, the aspect ratio came out to 3:2, which doesn't usually happen. In order to correct the displayed AR, I need to change the pixel AR from 1:1 to 32:27. My question is, is this as easy as changing a flag in the movie file, or do I actually need to reencode?

Thanks!

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe try MPEG4 Modifier .

Or remux it to a mp4 with mp4box or mkv with mkvtoolnix and set it to 16:19. No video reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, three strikes. Mpeg4Modifier doesn't like h264, the mkv file created by mkvtoolnix displayed the same as the avi regardless of which aspect ratio I set, and I couldn't find an option in the MP4Box GUI to set an aspect ratio (though I suspect the same thing would have happened in any case).

Since it didn't come across clearly in last night's post (it was late and I was tired), I should mention that the avi stage here is transitory anyway. I'll be re-converting to DVD with WinFF, which I already know from experience will correct the aspect ratio just fine. I was simply curious about whether an avi with such a problem could be fixed easily.

Anyway, I do appreciate your input, thanks! I hadn't known about MP4Box before, and that may come in handy when I convert a pile of old serials that I have in mp4 format, some of which give Virtualdub fits.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try a little tool which I wrote to do exactly that: Change the Aspect Ratio (AR) information of a h264 stream within an avi file. It's quite fast because it simply patches the values in the file. On the downside you can only change predefined ARs to other predefined ones, or custom ARs with custom ones. Note that the original file will be patched, so you may want to make a backup first.

I have attached the tool as a zip file, simply unpack it somewhere on your disk (no installation necessary). Languages are EN and DE.

If the changes have no effect, it could also be because your player and / or your codec does not support AR information or is configured to ignore it. You could try and check the settings of your codec.

HTH, Philipp
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    There is the possibility that above file H264ARM.zip contains a security threat.
    According to its author, it's a false positive.
    Last edited by BaBanTaDam; 8th Nov 2011 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    the mkv file created by mkvtoolnix displayed the same as the avi regardless of which aspect ratio I set
    That's your player's fault.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same issue with one other virus scanner once, it turned out to be a false positive. But of course you should not build on my experience, since I can not garantee that the file in the forum was not infected somehow. Two options:

1) I would be grateful if you could send the file to virustotal and ask them to verify that this is not a false positive.
    2) If you like I can send you a copy from my development system. However, if it is a false positive you will get the same message even if I send you a clean version. And since you don't know me I you should seriously not take my word for the file being clean

Ph.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Ph, that's precisely what i did : send the file to VirusTotal.
    Link i provided shows that the file was already submited.
    And it may be false positive indeed. 20 different A/V found something tho.
    Quote Quote  
  9. BaBanTaDam

Thanks for your whistle to point out security warning.
    Here is Virus Total Report (Download link / URL submitted directly).
    20/42 result from Virus total can not be fake!!!

Few Tips for Newbies:

1) Never try, download files or click the links from unknown sources.
    2) If your current set-up works perfectly, do not disturb it by updating.
    3) Never engage in such activities which may hurt either your or community (forum) reputation,
    coz it always comes back with size bigger.

Last Q?
    Does it not hurt forum reputation as well?????

I would consider original up-loader ph1248 might not be aware of whistles from AV Scanners.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    BaBanTaDam

I would consider original up-loader ph1248 might not be aware of whistles from AV Scanners.
    Well, I wrote the tool myself and I am very sure that I did not inserted any malicious code However, I can not guarantee what happened to the file after I uploaded it.

I can compile it again and submit it to some virus scanners, but this will take sume time since I am very busy in my Job at the moment. If someone is interested I can share the source code (in Delphi) so you can look for yourself.

Best regards
    Ph.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I've got D6 pro. I may try to have a look...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started flagging the file with some antivirus companies as a false positive. Kaspersky already sent a reply:
    Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.
    Thank you for your help.

Regards, Anton Kalinin
    Virus Analyst

>Sent: 22.10.2011 1:58:00
    >To: "New Virus" <newvirus@kaspersky.com>
    >Subject: [VirLabSRF][False alarm on a web resource][M:1][LN:EN][L:0]
    >
    >
    > LANG: de
    > email: ***
    >
    > description:
    > https://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/808-1268305030/H264ARM.zip
    >
    > Is listed as infected, but probably a false postive. Please re-check, thanks!
    >
    >
    > Wird als Virus gelistet, ist aber wahrscheinlich false positive. Bitte ueberpruefen, vielen Dank!
    >
    > Hochgeladene Dateien:
    > H264ARM.zip
    >
    >
    10/1, 1st Volokolamsky Proezd, Moscow, 123060, Russia
    Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 8700
    http://www.kaspersky.com http://www.viruslist.com
    So, please wait some days until they update their virus definitions... In the meantime I will contact the other companies. What a waste of time

rgds
    Ph.
    Last edited by ph1248; 21st Oct 2011 at 19:13.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BaBanTaDam View Post
    I've got D6 pro. I may try to have a look...
    Thanks, but on second thought I decided that it would be more secure for everyone to get it confirmed by the virus scanners themselves. Plus, the problem would otherwise reappear.

Best rgds
    Ph.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    BaBanTaDam

Thanks for your whistle to point out security warning.
    Here is Virus Total Report (Download link / URL submitted directly).
    20/42 result from Virus total can not be fake!!!
    Well, it can. Apparently it was a false positive with all of them. After I contacted these manufacturers, they started re-analysing and corrected their virus definitions. At the moment the Virus Total Result is 7/39 and falling:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=0f787df78a04879b6ce78aaffa55a298b19...fb1-1319564764

@BaBanTaDam: Could you please edit your post so that people are not afraid of the tool any more?

Best regards
    Ph
    Last edited by ph1248; 6th Nov 2011 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
  15. in receipt of following message, i would request reader to scan first and try.

Hello,

regarding the thread here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...out-reencoding

The virus warnign is indeed a false positive, most virus scannrs have removed the warning since I asked the to check again. Coudl you please modify your original statement, since it light scare people off using the tool?

Thanks,
    Ph.
    scan first before use, may be false positive as ph claims.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ph1248 View Post
    @BaBanTaDam: Could you please edit your post so that people are not afraid of the tool any more?
    Done.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ph1248 View Post
    You could also try a little tool which I wrote to do exactly that: Change the Aspect Ratio (AR) information of a h264 stream within an avi file.

I have attached the tool as a zip file, simply unpack it somewhere on your disk (no installation necessary). Languages are EN and DE.

HTH, Philipp
    Thank you very much. This was EXACTLY what i wanted. I love you.

I recorded some tv shows (dvb-t) which had the wrong pixel aspect ratio (16:11 Pal instead of 12:11 Pal).
    I demultiplexed the video (h264) and then changed the pixel aspect ratio with your perfect tool ( i was searching for such a tool for lots of months). No re-encoding needed.
    Last edited by qwerty83; 18th Feb 2012 at 13:13.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qwerty83 View Post
    You could also try a little tool which I wrote to do exactly that: Change the Aspect Ratio (AR) information of a h264 stream within an avi file.

HTH, Philipp

I recorded some tv shows (dvb-t) which had the wrong pixel aspect ratio (16:11 Pal instead of 12:11 Pal).
    I demultiplexed the video (h264) and then changed the pixel aspect ratio with your perfect tool ( i was searching for such a tool for lots of months). No re-encoding needed.
    After the virus scares, where is the tool now - I do not see any attachment to the messages here?

Thanks,
    Francois
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
    Originally Posted by qwerty83 View Post

HTH, Philipp

After the virus scares, where is the tool now - I do not see any attachment to the messages here?

Thanks,
    Francois
    That's weird. I have the original .zip file. I think you can find it here : http://forum.gleitz.info/showthread.php?39549-Tool-H-264-Aspect-Ratio-Modifier
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, this is an old trhead but I need help using H264ARM tool. I have a 4gb H264 stream and when loading into H264ARM it loads eventually. But all fields with information stay empty. What should I do?

Also, I want to correct the pixel dimensions of this video from 1920x808 > 1920x925, is this possible withH264 or other tool?
    Last edited by Mazuda To Yo Da; 29th Apr 2016 at 00:16.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Anyone still have H264ARM? I can't find a working link anywhere online
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had an old copy. But be careful, https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d94cc457c59ccf2978f952c1896311d7582cba67b6e1d22bebd...is/1526509299/ (probably false positives)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote