VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this topic and it was very helpful to make hardsubbed files:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/298094-How-to-convert-any-video-to-AVI-or-MP4-or-MK...d-in-subtitles

Someone who was trying to help me out told me the difference between .ass and .srt. I want to hardsub a .ass file to my video for the colors and placements.

The problem is that I can't get the .ass file to load in XviD4PSP. I found out the .ass subtitle file has 9 streams when I tried to put the video into ConvertxtoDVD. I encoded a video with a .srt file in 4 hours but I'd really like this .ass file hardsubbed to the video because of all the placements and colors. Any clue how to do this? I've never messed around with subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nouseforaname
    The problem is that I can't get the .ass file to load in XviD4PSP.
    What do you mean by "can't"?
    Error message? What?

I don't use XviD4PSP, but I see it uses Avisynth.
    If so the AVS file it uses to format the video probably includes subtitles using Textsub.
    See http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/vsfilter.htm

If you can get the AVS file it uses, you can open that in VirtualDub and try to solve the problem.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 4th Feb 2010 at 01:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well like I said, I'd just like to add this .ass file to the video file and keep everything how it is - colors, placement, fonts. I don't care what program to use but as long as it'll keep the subs how they are on normal playback on my pc, it's all good.

So those programs should make it possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First be more specific on "can't get the .ass file to load" and it maybe possible to fix that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there's this .ass file that has all these styles, colors, positions and such. I go open up that XviD4PSP program and load the video which worked. I go load up the .ass file and nothing happens. The video disappears and is replaced with huge font from the program. Again, I know nothing about these subtitles or how to make them or do them at all. I do a ton of video editing, not subs.

That .ass file will open when I play the .avi file and all subs work. There are three pop ups before the video would start up though. "Red to default, Blue to default, Mustard to default" are said then the video plays but all colors are there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may try aegisub to see if the ASS subs have any errors.
    I load them into XVI4PSP and have no problems at all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What format is the source video?

I don't use Xvid4PSP, either, but you might be able to use AVIDemux. Load the video, set the output container, video codec, click the Filters button under the Video section on the left and add the .ass/.ssa filter, loading your external sub file and changing the settings, if you want. Then set Audio to Copy, re-encode, making sure to add the proper extension to the output file (AVIDemux doesn't add the extension (.avi, .mp4, etc.) to the filename.)

I'm not sure it supports all of the effects you can find in an .ass file, but you might want to experiment with it, anyway.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been asking someone about this problem and he told me that it was weird that the subfile is .ass and the video file is .avi. He said .avi shouldn't be softsubbed but they seemed to work so I've got no issue with it. But yeah, the video is .avi. I'll check out that program when I get back and repost with the results. Thanks for the help for now guys. I'm glad there are quick replies here. Much appreciation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle streams can exist in an AVI just fine; I used to do it all the time for my DVD player. Although I don't often see .ass streams in an AVI... it shouldn't really have a problem as long as the player handles them properly.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a screenshot from Xvid4PSP when this happens ? I suspect that you are actually seeing an avisynth error message, but as you won't actually tell us what is happening, it is hard to really help you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. He said the font gets real big. I've seen that with SSA/ASS subs before. I'd try opening it in Notepad and changing the font size from 60 (or whatever it is) to 23 or whatever size he likes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's not what I'm saying about the subs getting big. When I load the .ass file to the .avi file in XivD4PSP, it shut the video off and replaces it with these just large words that have nothing to do with the subs.

The .ass file plays very nicely with the .avi video file. Not off sync, no issues at all except that when I open the video with the sub file before it plays it says "Red is replaced with Default, Blue is replaced with Default, Mustard is replaced with Default," just in three error windows. I'll definitely post this when I get home as I'm not right now but hopefully this can be figured out.

The main reason I want to know if .ass files can be hard subbed is because they will not work with the dvd burner program I use as the .ass file shows 15 streams instead of just one. This happens because in ConvertxtoDVD, the subs will be soft subbed, not hard so my only option is to hard sub the .ass file for the reasons I stated earlier.

What I did before was load up the .ass file to that one sub editor program and exported it to .srt making the subs all default white and no positioning or styles and took that .srt file and stuck it with the .avi one in XviD4PSP to hard sub it and it worked. I just want to do that with the .ass one with all the colors, positioning and styles.

Sorry to repeat myself, I'm exhausted. Again, I'll post photos when I get home.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Oh, it's not the sub dialog you see in big letters? Then guns1inger's probably right - an error message of some sort. Is it in red letters on a black background? If so, and if you can make out the writing, post the error message. If you can't read the message, then post the script XviD4PSP is using.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Oh, it's not the sub dialog you see in big letters? Then guns1inger's probably right - an error message of some sort. Is it in red letters on a black background? If so, and if you can make out the writing, post the error message. If you can't read the message, then post the script XviD4PSP is using.

You know what? Everytime I'd see that dialog, it'd be all squashed together but yes, now it is. Here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xvid.JPG
Views:	7681
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	206

I looked at the file and it shows this:

import("C:\Program Files\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\functions\AudioFunctions.avs")
    import("C:\Program Files\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\functions\ VideoFunctions.avs")
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\plugins\VSFilter.dll")
    DirectShowSource("C:\New Folder\Game\Gaki no Tsukai Hospital Batsu\Gaki no Tsukai Hospital Batsu - disc 1.avi", fps=29.970, convertfps=true)
    AutoYV12()
    TextSub("C:\New Folder\Game\Gaki no Tsukai Hospital Batsu\Gaki Hospital DVD 1color coded.ass")
    ConvertToYUY2()

I don't know what's wrong with it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Try removing the last line: ConvertToYUY2()
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Try removing the last line: ConvertToYUY2()
    That's from the temp folder and file so even if I removed it, it wouldn't do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  17. not from the temp folder

avisynth=>edit filtering script

(while you are there, see if that script matches the one you copied from the temp folder and posted here)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not from the temp folder

avisynth=>edit filtering script

(while you are there, see if that script matches the one you copied from the temp folder and posted here)
    I don't know how to do that lol You mean in XviD4PSP? That line isn't there when I looked at it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes in xvid4psp (file, video, audio, subtitles,...the 5th heading says "avisynth")

Copy & paste the script from avisynth=>edit filtering script , post it back here

The temp file might have been from another conversion
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	xvid.JPG
Views:	7754
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	210

Won't let me copy the text for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  21. left click and drag a box around it (or ctrl+a to select all) , then right click "copy"

What does the avisynth error message say? The red one? I can't read it. The dialog box is obscuring it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
    The button "AvsP Editor" should open AvsP, which is a text editor with preview functions for Avisynth.
    You edit in the normal way, should be able to cut and paste. Press "F5" for a preview which will tell you if the script is working.
    (It does not play the script, but you can step through it frame by frame with the arrow keys.)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    left click and drag a box around it (or ctrl+a to select all) , then right click "copy"

What does the avisynth error message say? The red one? I can't read it. The dialog box is obscuring it
    It says the same as the above photo.

Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
    The button "AvsP Editor" should open AvsP, which is a text editor with preview functions for Avisynth.
    You edit in the normal way, should be able to cut and paste. Press "F5" for a preview which will tell you if the script is working.
    (It does not play the script, but you can step through it frame by frame with the arrow keys.)
    In there when I press F5, it pops up with the error warning shows up:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "AvsP.pyo", line 6728, in OnMouseMotionVideoWindow
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Width'
    I went through the frames and everything's there all in the right colors and placements though. These pop up as well:
    Name:  red.JPG
Views: 25016
Size:  8.8 KB

Three of these pop up with different colors like I've stated before.
    Quote Quote  
  24. There might be an issue with your subs.

Did you check with aegisub as suggested earlier?

Can you upload them here?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said a few times, haha, I have zero knowledge with subtitles. I have that program because I was told to download it and load the subtitles there. Here's a link from where I downloaded them:

http://rapidshare.com/files/344886424/Don_t_Laugh_Hospital_Color_Coded_DVD_1and_2.rar

Parts 1 and 2 I'm guessing are the same exact thing. The person I've been talking to told me I have to change all the streams to default or something. I don't know what he meant since he had to go but I'm hoping that, again, the colors, positions and everything stays the same.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Can you upload them directly here?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It won't let me. Just download it from there if possible. They're small files.
    Quote Quote  
  28. then use a different site like mediafire.com , no free hosting slots available on rs
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn it. There are free hosting slots on RS. That's how I downloaded it, I don't have an account on there at all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?twciore5xne

http://www.mediafire.com/?jdnmyqyjy2z
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm not a subs expert, but I think you're missing a style sheet. Fancy subs can have attachments for exotic fonts, styles etc...

So if you're missing the attachement, it will revert to a default style

The script will work fine, however, if you just ignore the errors. You can save that script and feed it into vdub, for example, but you will only get what you see in the preview (if the .ssa file calls for those colors and fonts that you are missing, you won't get them)

If you want it perfect, you probably have to go into aegisub and edit the subs

If you're happy with the way it looks, then just encode it. If xvid4psp doesn't let you , use vdub (I hardcoded those subs with a different video in vdub, and it worked fine)

Cheers
    Quote Quote