VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am very new to Ripping Blurays and have been reading this forum and tring to pick up tips.

I have a BluRay copy of District 9 which I wish to compress to mkv so that I can stream it the my video player.

I have managed to get the Video & Audio split and converted back but I am stuck with finding the Alien Subtitles, unlike a normal Movie this film has 2 types of subtitles, one for the normal dialog which can be turned on / off and another for the Alien dialogue which is language specific and can’t be turned off.

My problem is I can’t find the file or stream on the BluRay & therefore can extract it.

Does anybody have any ideas or have played with this film.

Re Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dave Taylor View Post
    Hi

I am very new to Ripping Blurays and have been reading this forum and tring to pick up tips.

I have a BluRay copy of District 9 which I wish to compress to mkv so that I can stream it the my video player.

I have managed to get the Video & Audio split and converted back but I am stuck with finding the Alien Subtitles, unlike a normal Movie this film has 2 types of subtitles, one for the normal dialog which can be turned on / off and another for the Alien dialogue which is language specific and can’t be turned off.

My problem is I can’t find the file or stream on the BluRay & therefore can extract it.

Does anybody have any ideas or have played with this film.

Re Dave
    those subs are embedded, why do you you want to extract them anyway?

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I extracted the video & DTS soundtrack and the made them into a mkv, there were no Alien Subtitles.

As the BluRay is multilingual they can’t be hard encoded so the file with the English Alien sub titles (not the humans) must be on the disc somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Normally it's the last english subtitle, but in the case of District 9; I think it's the 2nd from last subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post
    Normally it's the last english subtitle, but in the case of District 9; I think it's the 2nd from last subtitle.
    OK, I misunderstood the question

usually 1st english sub is for the hearing impaired and the 2nd enblish sub is for foreign language characters

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sometimes, there is a third for the blind. I think it's called English SDH.

Nevermind. Thinking something else. That is audio, not subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I am ripping it now and it's not the 2nd from last, the first, or the last, gonna' try 2nd next

edit: I got it, I saved the 2nd English pgs file turned primary subs on but unchecked English to play the alien subs w/ PDVD or you will get subs from both sides

ocgw

peace
    Last edited by ocgw; 7th Feb 2010 at 14:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Genius
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw View Post
    well I am ripping it now and it's not the 2nd from last, the first, or the last, gonna' try 2nd next

edit: I got it, I saved the 2nd English pgs file turned primary subs on but unchecked English to play the alien subs w/ PDVD or you will get subs from both sides

ocgw

peace
    Hi

Glad you have it sussed.

What S/W are you using to extract the pgs file and then attach it to the MKV?

Re Dave
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dave Taylor View Post
    Originally Posted by ocgw View Post

ocgw

peace
    Hi

Glad you have it sussed.

What S/W are you using to extract the pgs file and then attach it to the MKV?

Re Dave
    Sorry bro', I demux blu ray to uncompressed movie only w/ 1 5.1 soundtrack and no subs unless it is foreign languages spoken in the movie, save as iso, mount w/ VCD and play w/ PDVD

check the link in my sig pls

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I already suggested he check out subscene.com for the alien/foreign subs. I was having the same problem and that was the easiest solution (under 20k download).

Honestly, I have to say that these ambiguous acronyms are just confusing. You do notice that Virtual Clone Drive shows the automatic link, whereas VCD doesn't, right? Even the logo of VideoHelp has VCD as video compact disc.
    And really, is it that much harder to type PowerDVD over PDVD? Pure laziness!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread cleaned. Discuss acronyms somewhere else.
    Quote Quote