VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony DCR-SR47 that has a built in HD to store video and pictures. Is it possible to capture video from the camcorder to Adobe Premiere? It doesn't have a firewire port like my old camcorder did, but it does have a USB port to transfer videos from the camcorder to the computer HD. When I hook up my camcorder to the computer via USB and start Premiere 2.0, it doesn't show my camcorder.

You're probably wondering why I would want to capture video from my camcorder through Premiere, when I can simply just transfer it from my camcorder to me HD. Well, I have some VHS tapes that I would like to transfer to my hd. And I read somewhere that you can run the VHS through your camcorder through Premiere to capture it to the HD. I was wondering if that is possible. The Sony DCR-SR47 does have a A/V R port in the front. I tried connecting the video and audio cables to my VHS and then the cable to the A/V R port on the camcorder. I then connected my USB cable to the camcorder to the my computer USB port. When I started Premiere I couldn't see any video from the VHS when I pressed play.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our camcorder section.

I guess you don't want to record first to the camcorder and the copy the files? I don't think pass through like that is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually it would be easier if I could record the VHS to the camcorder since it has a HD. How do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nopulse View Post
    You're probably wondering why I would want to capture video from my camcorder through Premiere, when I can simply just transfer it from my camcorder to me HD. Well, I have some VHS tapes that I would like to transfer to my hd. And I read somewhere that you can run the VHS through your camcorder through Premiere to capture it to the HD. I was wondering if that is possible...
    It would be possible if

1. The camcorder was MiniDV or Digital8 format instead of MPeg2.

2. The DV camcorder had the "analog pass-through" feature so that the analog input could be converted to DV and passed real time through the IEEE-1394 port to Premiere for capture.

As it is, you would need to cap to your camera's HDD in MPeg2 format, then transfer the file to the computer using the Sony camcorder software, then import the MPeg2 file into Premiere.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nopulse View Post
    Actually it would be easier if I could record the VHS to the camcorder since it has a HD. How do I do that?
    Look for analog dubbing instructions in the manual. Sony camcorders vary on how this is done. Many don't have the analog input feature.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote