VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'm trying to convert an AAC LC 5.1ch audio file to AAC LC 2ch stereo. I want to be able to play this movie on my Sony Walkman so the audio needs to be in a 2 channel format.

I've tried using MeGUI with neroAacEnc but the program crashes immediately (Windows error message "MeGUI.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close). Next i tried using Super....same result, program crashed immediately (Windows error message "Super.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close).

Next i did some digging. I found this post by MajTJK0ng and decided to follow his instructions:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-multimedia-streaming/725306-how-do-i-convert-m...el-stereo.html

So i found a copy of MediaCoder Audio Edition 0.7.2.4594, i have winamp so i was able to copy enc_aacplus.dll and nscrt.dll and pasted them into the codec folder of MediaCoder Audio Edition under program files. I set the settings EXACTLY as MajTJK0ng had them in his post and the program crashed immediately just as it had with MEGUI and Super (Windows error message "faac.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close).

I've used MeGUI to encode DTS 5.1ch and AC3 5.1ch to AAC LC 5.1ch many times without any problems. Does anybody have any ideas as to what i need to do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest doing it in two steps:
    1. decode to wav with NeroAACDec (you may need to put it in an mp4 container first) or FAAD
    "neroaacdec -if input.mp4 -of ouput.wav"
    "faad -o output.wav input.aac"
    2. encode to 2ch AAC with eac3to: "eac3to output.wav output.aac -down2"
    If you have Nero 7 (8 won't work) or one of the other paid-for AAC decoders, then you can skip the first part and just use eac3to.

Doing it in steps like this will let you see any error messages that might occur and proceed accordingly.

Slainte

midders
    Quote Quote  
  3. In megui, did you remember to set the program paths in the configuration for neroaacenc.exe?

Is it possible your audio source is corrupted?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In megui, did you remember to set the program paths in the configuration for neroaacenc.exe?

Is it possible your audio source is corrupted?

yes i did check to make sure the paths in the configuration were correct. i don't think the audio source is corrupted. i tried to encode other 5.1 audio sources to 2 channel with the same result leading me to believe that the issue is something else.
    Quote Quote  
  5. post your log file

are you using a directshow mixer? perhaps ffdshow?

you can try, in the audio profile configuration, either forcing directshow on or off to decode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the info that Super displays when the audio file is double clicked

Format : ADTS Format/Info : Audio Data Transport Stream File size : 150 MiB
    Audio Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format version : Version 4 Format profile : LC Format settings, SBR : Yes Format settings, PS : No Muxing mode : ADTS Bit rate mode : Variable Channel(s) : 6 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Stream size : 150 MiB (100%)

I'm not sure how to get the log file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ poisondeathray

I'm not sure if you remember my problem with MeGUI regarding x264 not functioning properly. The problem turned out to be that the latest version of x264 was not compatible with my pc AMD Athlon 2800+ 32 bit processor. The fix was that you gave me a link to an older build that was compatible with my pc.

I am wondering if this is the same case with eac3to as that program was also updated? Perhaps i need to use an older build?

MeGUI is not providing me with any logs due to the fact that the program just crashes once i try to encode. what is funny is that MeGUI WILL encode an AC3 to AAC no problem. Also it WILL encode DTS to AAC no problem.

I also tried downmixing to Dolby Pro Logic II and forcing Direct Show Decode...to no avail.
    Quote Quote