VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I gotta say that this DVD-to-PSP conversion software is by far the best I've tried, and I've tried about a dozen programs that were horrible; jerky video, out-of-sync sound, data unsupported, etc. This one worked pretty good the first time I tried it, using the MP4 PSP AVC format preset and the x264 2P Q21 HQ Film video encoding preset (it defaulted to that, so I left it there), with filtering and color correction disabled. Perfect sound sync, sharp video quality, manageable file size. But, although the video isn't jerky, there's a slight bit more motion-blur/ghosting than I'd like during camera pans and fast action scenes; is there a good custom setting that would minimize this issue? If it matters, this would be mostly for live-action films (not shot-on-video stuff or anime) ripped from DVDs. Calling all XVID4PSP experts!

And, even if the quality using the presets I used is the best it gets, I'm still pretty happy; the results are miles ahead of anything else I've tried.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The lower the Q value, the higher the quality (and the bigger the file size and slower the encoding). Depending on the source, you might also look at the deinterlacing settings, as there are several different deinterlacers available. Again, the higher the quality, the slower the encoding will be.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using version 5.036 (some say it works better with Windows7) and select GhostsBusters MPEG2Fix in the Brightness/Contrast settings. This reduces Ghosting. Some PSP models suffer more with this than others.

You can use DVD Shrink to, easily, cut a small section out of a DVD/Movie file, one with a scene that suffers Ghosting. The conversions of a short scene can be done in less than 5 minutes.

Then try converting this small scene in XviD4PSP as Test1, Test2 etc., each with different settings, and pop the small test samples on the PSP.

You can then view each small sample to see which settings gave the best results. It is easier if each Test sample starts at the Ghosting point in the scene.

DVD Shrink is very useful and easy to use. You open the DVD file, select Re-Author and drag the main move to the left hand side window. Then use the "set start and end frame" tool to cut out the small scene. Select Backup and save the DVD file to the Hard Drive.
    It's great for creating short "Test" files for conversion.

Here's a guide just in case you use it.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_movie_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Hope you manage to reduce the Ghosting, good luck.

Not Ghosting related, but just in case it is useful:

I found the HQ (constant quality) settings give a small file size which is fine on the PSP screen. However, on larger displays, like PC screens, smooth gradients and dark scenes will have visible artifacts. So if you sometimes want to watch these MP4 conversions on your PC it is better to go for something like x264 2P 768k Ultra, or x264 1P 1024k Ultra (for faster conversions) and you will find these look better on your PC monitor. They will be twice as large though (about 800MB - 1.2GB for a movie.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go do some testing!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go do some testing!
    I'd be interested to know what you find when you test. If you get a chance can you post your results?

It is very hard to see the differences on the PSP screen, but as I occasionally view on a 20" PC monitor I tend to use that and the differences are more noticeable. I found that:-

1. x264 1P 1024k Ultra - Good and quick (same setting as PSP Video 9: Video Quality-High, I think.)
    2. x264 2P 768k Ultra - Pretty much as 1. above and only approx. 2/3rds the size, but lots slower.
    3. x264 2P 1024k Ultra - Possibly better than 1. but lots slower.
    4. x264 HQ Ultra - Default quality is 21, nice and small, OK on PSP screen but not monitor (x264 2P 512k Ultra is better and small, but slower.)
    5. x264 HQ2 Ultra with quality set to 21 (default) - Slow and results not worth it.
    6. x264 HQ Ultra with quality set to 14 - Nearly as good as 1. but a similar size.
    7. Ultra was definately better than Turbo, Extreme was slow and I preferred the results with Ultra.
    8. "GhostsBusters MPEG2Fix" improved Ghosting for some films but the difference is not great. That is for a PSP Lite, the second model.
    It drives you mad comparing the small differences over and over again. Best to find a section of movie that looks particularly poor on the PSP screen and try to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Using these settings for 4 years, fast and small:
    Code:
    --crf 24.0 --preset medium --merange 24 --bframes 8 --direct auto --b-adapt 2 --trellis 2 --partitions all --subme 10 --me umh --rc-lookahead 60 --extra:
    Add and Apply this code into CLI section of x264 settings.

If you are mad about quality just decrease crf value to 23.0 or 22.0
    Remember, CRF 24 is very good quality both for movies and recordings.
    You can use 25.0 quality for sharing the video on the web.

For Audio Settings, I use AAC-LC with ABR (average bitrate) 48kbit/s, which can raise up to 64kbit if needed. For example, if nobody speaks and it is silence it decrease the bitrate down to 16 kbit/s. Use, AAC-HEv2 ABR 32kbit/s for movies. It is also very good quality.
    Quote Quote