i've been backing up blu-ray (movies only) to mkv, then using mkv2vob to make an avchd disc for playback on the ps3. ive been doing this for a few months now with no problems at all.

I have a tv tuner, which i use to record OTA or QAM HD files to my computer for backup. I had been keeping them all on my hard drive, until I realized I could create an avchd disc for playback on my ps3, since the files are already .ts files, and each 1 hour show fits perfectly onto a dvd-r.

I have a few test clips that i'm working with, all from NBC and CBS, so they all have a 1920x1080i resolution. i'm using mkv2vob or TSmuxer, and nero to burn, and the process goes fine. when i put the disc in the ps3, it recognizes its an avchd disc like normal and starts playing. the problem is, it plays at 480p resolution, not 1080. I have the ps3 set to only output 1080, and this process works for all my blu-ray backups, so i know this isnt the problem. here's the wierd thing though. on my computer, if i browse to the m2ts file in the disc, it says its 1920x1080 resolution. the disc and m2ts file plays back fine on my pc at 1080. also, if i use the built-in media server on the ps3, or ps3 media server, to stream that same file to the ps3, it plays back fine, at 1080p. for some reason, it just wont playback at 1080 from the disc.

any suggestons? the only thing that is different than what i normally do is these files are 1080i, could that be the problem? i thought avchd discs accept any standard resolution. i really want this process to work, because i want to start recording a lot of hd shows and backing them up to avchd to watch later, so my hard drive and tivo dont fill up.