VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get a laptop (NOT A MAC because they too expensive) for around £400, what specs are needed in order to record music?

Is Dell a good way to go?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer HP systems.
    Whatever you get, be sure it doesn't overheat.
    I would also avoid nVidia laptop graphics, they have known overheating issues -- go for ATI, or live with embedded Intel graphics.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how will I know if it will overheat?

Also, are dells a good way to go? I always hear something bad about them?

Furthermore, what kind of processor/ram do I need?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I prefer HP systems.
    Whatever you get, be sure it doesn't overheat.
    I would also avoid nVidia laptop graphics, they have known overheating issues -- go for ATI, or live with embedded Intel graphics.
    As much as I love nVidia and hate ATI, have to agree with this. We have a few laptops. Each with Intel, ATI, and nVidia graphics. The nVidia chips do create noticeably more heat. Of course, I run Linux, and there is a huge difference between ATI and nVidia on that OS, not so much so with other platforms.

Check that the laptop has a 7200RPM drive. Entry level models only come with 5400RPM drives. You can feel the difference between the speeds. Audio recording needs the drive speed, especially when doing multi-channel 96kbit. Check the fan and vent locations, and think about how the laptop will be stationed while used. Some manufacturers are not that smart in this design aspect. We have models with dual fans located on the back of the unit with vents on the side. These can be used as laptops. Other models have their fans and vents located on the bottom of the unit. If you place these laptops on a flat surface, it does restrict the airflow.

I'm partial to Dell laptops. I've repaired and refurbished enough of them, that i can disassemble and reassemble most models in a matter of minutes. This is important, as all laptops eventually fail. I think of them as disposable devices. Most are surprisingly very cheaply made, poor designed junk. But when you need one, you need one.

Get one with the fastest CPU and highest amount of RAM you can afford. At least a dual core, and if it comes with Windows 7, look for 64bit with 4gig ram. Look for the connections that your audio device needs (firewire) or add in the cost of the PC-Card (PCMCIA).
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a nice dell laptop I am interested in, just doesn't say anything about where the fans are located and how much, where could I find this info?
    Quote Quote