VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I'm new to the whole video thing, but not new to computers. So here's my situation.

I've found a site where I can watch TV shows online (had to cancel my cable, on a budget, you know how it is).
    Anyways, I found where the files are stored for these shows when I have them loaded to watch on my browser.
    I copied them fine to another folder. When the files have an extension of ".part" I've figured out that they are
    actually ".avi" files. No problem. Just burn them straight to a dvd (data burn) and they play fine on my dvd player.
    I think I got lucky on that one as the first episode I loaded was a single file and I just took a wild guess that it
    might be an .avi or .mpeg file. LOL. Tried .avi first and it worked. Pure dumb luck, I'm not all that smart.

Not all shows or episodes are like that though. Some come in as 3 files. 1- .ddat file, 1- .dinfo file, and 1- .dmsk file.
    I booted up my new Divx player and just opened the .ddat file (which is the largest) and it plays.

My question is, if I were to burn these 3 files (again via a straight data burn like the .avi test) would my DVD player
    play them? If not, would I have to convert them or what? Also, are these files the "actual" Divx files or do they
    have "disguised" file extensions like the .part being a .avi case?

My DVD player says it plays Divx or that it's Divx "compatible". I'm not quite sure what that all means though. Like
    I said, I'm new to all this video stuff.

The whole reason I'm trying to do this is that I'd like to just get these shows/episodes
    on to cd's or dvd's so I can watch them later on my TV and not have to watch them at the moment of download on my
    computer (besides, my computer chair is not all that comfortable to sit in like my couch. lol. ).

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance to all who venture to help a video noob.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this site. It will give you some insight to what those files are.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/ddat

Burn .ddat file to RW disk and see if your player will play that. Not all DivX players will play all versions of that format.
    Quote Quote