VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the effort you give in this site.

I use this:
    " DirectShowSource("C:\Users\...\...\sample.mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false, convertfps=true)
    crop(0,88,-0,-88)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
    assumeFPS(25,1,False) "

My questions:
    1. Why if "The FilmMachine" software is installed then the encoder accepts the script, but when it's not installed, i 've got error message by the encoder ?
    I have installed Avisynth_258, Haali media splitter, FFDshow and AC-3 filter.(Is the AC-3 filter really necesarry?)
    2. How i can use 100% the capacity of a DVD-R disc (4.7), getting the best quality ?
    For example movie is: V=1h 30min 30sec, A=640kb/s, SUB=two ".srt" files 60KB each.
    So, settings for VBR mode 3 passes have to be:
    Avg= 6084 Min= 0 Max=9144 according to the "bitrate calculator".
    Why i allways get smaller movie size?

Thank' s for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. First check that FFDshow is set to decode H.264.

Secondly play the AVS file in a media player and tell us exactly what error you see reported.

Regarding the size, the best way to use every kilobyte of a DVD-R is to create the DVD so it is slightly too large to fit on standard DVD-R, then shrink it to fit using DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    Why i allways get smaller movie size?
    Because however you're figuring it, the figures you gave are wrong. But you haven't given enough details to provide the correct bitrate. To what bitrate do you reencode the audio? Also, is this movie 90 minutes long before or after you speed it up to 25fps? If that's the original 23.976fps length, that's another reason your calculations are off since it becomes something like 86 minutes long after the speedup to PAL.

By the way, what's the original resolution of the MKV that you crop 88 pixels from both the top and bottom and then resize to 720x576? And how did you come up with a max bitrate of 9144? Not 9100, not 9200, not even 9150, but 9144? If it's somehow related to the audio bitrate of 640, of course you can't use that bitrate in a DVD.

I don't (and won't) have The Film Machine installed and have no problem running CCE.
    Originally Posted by mh2360 View Post
    Regarding the size, the best way to use every kilobyte of a DVD-R is to create the DVD so it is slightly too large to fit on standard DVD-R, then shrink it to fit using DVDShrink.
    That's a joke, right? The best way to fill a DVDR is to use the correct bitrate to begin with. DVD Shrink should play no part in anything you want done properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you both , for your fast replies!

I have been always able to watch BD files in my PC, without any adjustment (of my part).
    I don't want to use DVDSHRINK. If i posted here, is because i want to learn! Can i , please?
    I also don't think that i gave a bad impression for the the Film Machine. I use it, anyway...
    (Do i need an "illumination"...?)

Manono, you tell me that my figures are wrong!
    I reencode the audio from 23.976 to 25 with bitrate=640.The original movie is 90 min in 23.976.The efficiency i get is about 95% in the 4.7DVD-R disc.(If i remember well.)If there is something i have to know, i would appreciate your time...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    That's a joke, right? The best way to fill a DVDR is to use the correct bitrate to begin with. DVD Shrink should play no part in anything you want done properly.
    I use CCE with CQ 16. If the disc doesn't get filled, then that's fine. If the file size goes over a little, then DVDShrink fits it to a DVD-R with next to no loss of quality. It's quick and easy and fills the disk 100% every time, that's the way I choose to do it.

It's home video conversion, not major Hollywood studio DVD reproduction.

Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    Manono, you tell me that my figures are wrong!
    I reencode the audio from 23.976 to 25 with bitrate=640.The original movie is 90 min in 23.976.The efficiency i get is about 95% in the 4.7DVD-R disc.(If i remember well.)If there is something i have to know, i would appreciate your time...
    Remember that you are speeding up the video to 25fps so even though it might be 90 mins long as a NTSC file, as a PAL file its only going to be around 86.3 minutes long.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    I thought you couldn't have AC3 audio with a bitrate of 640 in a DVD, but I guess I was wrong about that, as I did a test mux with an audio of that bitrate and it worked. However, if you say you're getting to within 95% of the full size, then most of the remaining difference can be accounted for by the fact that the length of your movie changes when speeded up to PAL. It's a difference of over 4%. The new length is now a little less than 87 minutes and the bitrate should be based on that. Open the script in VDub(Mod) to get the accurate length.
    about 95% in the 4.7DVD-R disc
    You might understand the size better if you would use a figure of 4487 MB as the max size of a DVD-R (and 4483 MB for a DVD+R), and you don't really want to fill it up all the way. I use DVD+R and make all mine between 4475 and 4480 MB.
    Originally Posted by mh2360 View Post
    If the disc doesn't get filled, then that's fine.
    It's quick and easy and fills the disk 100% every time, that's the way I choose to do it.
    I don't know about you, but I read that as contradicting yourself. If you make them undersized to begin with, and if you're happy with that, then you're not filling the disc 100% every time. You're filling it only when you go over and use Shrink to lower the size. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with doing CQ encodes and I do that a lot myself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Guies,
    What i have just learned, is that i learned NOTHING !
    I don't understand what audio and PAL to NTSC change have to do with filling up a disc!!!
    But i'm going to keep in my mind this commment:
    Eeh, do you need help?
    "It's home video conversion, not major Hollywood studio DVD reproduction. ".
    Thanks for your time, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post

I don't understand what audio and PAL to NTSC change have to do with filling up a disc!!!
    If you do a PAL slowdown, the running time will be different

The PAL version will run at 25fps and shorter duration
    The NTSC version will run at (approx.) 23.976 and longer duration

Filesize = bitrate x running time

So at a given bitrate (e.g. 640kbps audio) , the filesize will be different. This equation applies to both audio & video.

So yes, it does matter with respect to filling up a disc

Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    "It's home video conversion, not major Hollywood studio DVD reproduction. ".
    This is true, but you're wasting time doing it twice and losing quality (2 generations), why not do it correctly the first time? Your original question #2 asked how to get the "best quality" , and using DVD shrink is not the way

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I thought you couldn't have AC3 audio with a bitrate of 640 in a DVD
    I was under that impression too...
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 27th Jan 2010 at 16:02.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    What i have just learned, is that i learned NOTHING
    You had better learn something. Or else maybe you can take up stamp collecting as a hobby because video encoding will be beyond you. In whatever bitrate calculator you used, didn't you have to fill in the length of the movie? And don't you understand that the length of the movie changed once you put that AssumeFPS line in your script? Again, open the script in VDub(Mod) to check the final length. You told us that the length of the 23.976fps source was 90 min 30 sec. But after being speeded up to 25fps the new length became 86 min 48 sec. Plug that length into your bitrate calculator and watch how the average bitrate increases. Just about enough to fill up your DVDR
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Well:

{4700000 KB - [ (640/8) Kb/s * 5430 s ] } / 5430 s = 785.56 KB = 785.56*8 Kb/s = 6285 Kb/s
    which is the Video bitrate i should use in CCE. Am i wright?
    (Not 6084 as your forum bitrate's calculator gave me)
    Always ask and learn...
    I will try it,
    and we'll be in touch !!!

(There is still no answer for my first question !...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post

(There is still no answer for my first question !...

1. Why if "The FilmMachine" software is installed then the encoder accepts the script, but when it's not installed, i 've got error message by the encoder ?

What is the exact error message that it gives you?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, poisondeathray

With "the film machine" installed everything is ok.
    Without it CCE gives me: "952*80 is not supported.Supported is up to 720*576".
    The ".mkv" file = 960*560, 23.976.(But it's the the same for all of them).
    Well....?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post

With "the film machine" installed everything is ok.
    The ".mkv" file = 960*560, 23.976.(But it's the the same for all of them).
    Well....?
    Without the film machine installed, Are you opening the exact .avs script in your 1st post in CCE (the one with the resize) ?

When you uninstall that program, it might uninstall other programs too , like avisynth. Make sure you reinstall everything necessary
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by chrchr View Post
    Am i wright?
    It's close, but I think it was an accident. For starters, 4700000 KB is more than 100 MB more than what a DVDR can hold.

How many times do we have to tell you that the movie length changed when you speeded it up to 25fps. It's no longer 90 min 30 sec (aka 5430 sec). It's now 86 min 48 sec, which gives you a considerably higher bitrate for the same size.
    (Not 6084 as your forum bitrate's calculator gave me)
    Are you talking about the Videohelp.com bitrate calc? Maybe if you learned how to use it correctly, you'd get a better result. I don't use it myself, so I may not be doing everything right, but I get a lot higher bitrate than the 6084 you got.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BitrateCalc3.jpg
Views:	1504
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	45  

Last edited by manono; 27th Jan 2010 at 19:44.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Something else. You say the source MKVs are 960x560 (1.71:1). And you have this in your scripts:

crop(0,88,-0,-88)

So, you crop away a total of 176 rows of pixels (black bars?) to make the resulting video 960x384 (2.5:1 !). And then after all that you do a straight resize to 720x576? No black bars are added, if your script is to be believed. And then encode at 16:9 I assume. So, have you actually done any of these? If so, haven't you noticed that the aspect ratios are all messed up, that people look way too tall and slender?
    That's a script error. Open it in VDub(Mod) and see if it's OK. If it's not OK, it'll give you a more helpful message than the one from CCE. If it's OK in VDub(Mod), it should be OK in CCE. This has nothing to do with The Film Machine, I don't believe. Although poisoondeathray may be correct in speculating that TFM uninstalls AviSynth or makes some other unwelcome changes when being uninstalled.
    Last edited by manono; 27th Jan 2010 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all,

I would like to know and learn
    but, i don't want to brake our hearts with (script) details and frame change questions.(I only wanted to use software better)
    I have never seen FPS value to be a part of ANY calculation 's equation, before.
    But never mind...

Other programmes are not unistalled together with TFM.
    Thank you guies!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Yes!
    Reinstalling avisynth,FFDSHOW ,and Haali media everything is ok.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    My friend manono,
    I did not want to listen...
    I just wanted a "given buttom to push", and make all the job for me.
    I understand you now that, changing FPS, change also the time i give in the equation.
    Thank YOU and this site for the support you give to everybody...
    (Just please be more friendly with your customers!)
    Quote Quote