VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have done data recovery on an sd card from a camera. All of the jpeg files and some of the avi files are alright. But some don't play in any player! I tried all the programs listed in the tools section to try to fix them. Tried opening them in several programs to re-encode them. But most things say they are not AVI files. XviD4PSP v5 gives me the error "FFmpegSource: Couldn't find stream information". Anyone got any ideas of how I may be able to repair these files? Even if I could extract some bits of the files, or single frames, anything really! These are videos of my kids over the last couple years which I have no other copies of, and I am devistated that I may lose them!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes even when you get the file name back, the data in the file is corrupted.

Don't give up completely, try different data recovery programs . Unfortunately, most of the better programs will not be free.

http://www.diskdoctors.net/recover-data-from-sd-card.html
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried at least a dozen programs with varying success. This program "Stellar Phoenix" is the only program that got everything off, though as I said, some of the files are not working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. That wasn't any good, didnt get anything! Is there really no way to fix the files I already have? Something that can examine the contents without the header? They can't be that terribly broken because some of them work fine...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try opening them in something else, such as AVI Demux, and doing a stream copy. Or opening them in VLC and saving a new file. This may given them a new header and get you going again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I figured it out, and it was quite easy once I thought of it. The post I made where I said the header was broken, well I have GOOD files with GOOD headers, just need a program to replace the headers on the broken file with the header from a GOOD file. I found just the program I needed, it is called AVIRepair. You load the source file with the good header, then load the broken files and it does all the work for you.

Got every one of the files working great!

Thanks for the help guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Congrats! You are one lucky guy. Now back it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fixavifile View Post
    I figured it out, and it was quite easy once I thought of it. The post I made where I said the header was broken, well I have GOOD files with GOOD headers, just need a program to replace the headers on the broken file with the header from a GOOD file. I found just the program I needed, it is called AVIRepair. You load the source file with the good header, then load the broken files and it does all the work for you.

Got every one of the files working great!

Thanks for the help guys!
    AVIRepair? This http://www.pk3.org/Astro/Downloads/AVIRepair.zip ?
    Quote Quote