VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Someone I know wants to record somthing thats happening on a laptop screen onto a dvd using their home Sony DVD recorder, they have a disk that they have been using to record things onto and want somthing from the laptop onto it before they finalise it.

My Vaio laptop has HDMI, S-Video and I think the others are firewire and monitor connections.
    The Sony DVD recorder HDMI, Scart, RCA, S-Video (i think) and I cant remember what else.

The DVD recorder is connected to their Sony LCD TV through scart, if my laptop was also connect to the TV but through HDMI would I be able to record the laptop to DVD or would I have to connect the laptop direct to the DVD Recorder?

As you can probably tell i'm useless with things like this...Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You simply cannot record to a dvd that has be started on another system. Even if you could hook up to the laptop to the TV, like I could with my old Toshiba, it would also have to "detect" the recorder in order to use it. If the DVDrecoder has an S-Video then try hooking it up, which may require a restart. If it does detect it then you'll need to use an rca audio connector to go from the headphones jack to the audio ports on the DVDrecorder (S-Video only carries video) If you friend is going to have these issues he should invest in a WDHD media player, or a Seagate Freeagent Theater +.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried a software solution such as CamStudio and the CSCD codec?

http://camstudio.org
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Laptop via s-video to s-video input on dvd recorder ... use a new disc ... rw are preferred and you can add content even if data already exists which was created by the dvd recorder only

Turn tv on and set to appropriate input to view dvd recorder ... set dvd recorder video input to s-video ... connect laptop via s-video and turn it on ... you should shortly see the laptops desktop on the tv screen if it's connected correctly

If you messed up the power on stage just head into the video settings applet on the laptop ... there should be a setting to detect devices connected by the s-video port if the laptop didn't pick it up first time round

Two problems

Screen resolution ... common to set laptop screen to around 800 x 600 ... small text will be unreadable but in general most of what is on the laptop's screen should be reasonable considering dvd resolutions will be even lower than 800 x 600

Audio ... will require additional cables ... unless you edit the recording back on a pc and add naration

As you can see you must connect the laptop to the dvd recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the answers

If I was to do a screen capture using replay video capture which captures in MPEG-2 would I be able to burn that video file onto a DVD+RW thats already got video from the DVD recorder on it?

If so, how would I do it using Nero?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is Snag-It still around?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
    Thanks for the answers

If I was to do a screen capture using replay video capture which captures in MPEG-2 would I be able to burn that video file onto a DVD+RW thats already got video from the DVD recorder on it?

If so, how would I do it using Nero?
    Not in the way you would like to. You would have to take the recorder disc contents, and re-author them with the new content to create a new disc, then burn that. I wouldn't use Nero for any part of the process.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Not in the way you would like to. You would have to take the recorder disc contents, and re-author them with the new content to create a new disc, then burn that. I wouldn't use Nero for any part of the process.
    Ahh I see, what can I use to rip the video from the DVD but without the disk menu that shows up at the begining?

I think I have convertxtodvd somewhere, would that rip the DVD in to AVI or MPEG?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink, as this disc has no copy protection
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    DVD Shrink, as this disc has no copy protection
    Thanks, i'll give it a go when I can
    Quote Quote