VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ripping my dvd collection to my computer.... then converting them and placing on an external hard drive for play on my xbox 360.No problems using dvdfab and handbreak.No problem until I tried the dvd-r's that were recorded on my samsung dvd recorder...The dvdrw disc's worked fine but the computer doesnt even see the files on the dvd-r's. supposedly the Dell inspiron's drive supports dvd-r's. I am what you would call " very new" to this so any Ideas would be appreciated.....

70 movies and counting......All ready to play on the xbox
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a very simple solution would be to get an external dvd writer...usb...u shouldnt have any issues then

how old is the pc your on?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a new dell inspiron 1545. I'm ripping and converting to a folder and simply dragging and droping to the ext hard drive Then take it to the xbox .vidieo's ready to play. So you think the Drive (or windows?) doesnt recognize the dvd-r's? As I say,the dvdrw's are no problem.and they were recorded with the same recorder.
    sorry if I'm ignorant about this...as i said ,I'm new.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You may need to finalize the DVD-Rs. Check your recorder's manual.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hadn't thought of that.....I guess it doesnt automatically do that upon ejection??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if its new then its should see those dvd-r's...i cant see why they wouldnt

so basically your "dvd-r" discs arent being seen at all thru your dvd drive? open up "my Computer" and then put the disc again and see if it recognizes it...if you've had these discs for a long time and you've played them b4 i'm sure they've been finalized..if they can be seen then try ripping them with dvd decrypter to your ext. HD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They have only been played in the player that recorded them to this point....and over and over at that.but for some reason the computer see's the disc as empty.the disc shows up but no files available.....will investigate the "finalization" thing. Anything else to try???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by nodollas
    Hadn't thought of that.....I guess it doesnt automatically do that upon ejection??
    Most standalone DVD do not finalize upon ejection of the disc. Finalization "locks" the disc so that no more information can be written or deleted from it. This procedure is usually a separate step.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys......will see where this goes
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well That seemed to do it . The discs werent finalized. now they rip like a dream only problem now is Handbrake Sometimes get audio out of sync........always something.
    Quote Quote  
  11. im not sure if your ripping your DVDs to AVI files but if so

prior to burning them

you can fix the audio out of sync problem easy using virtualdub
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    using dvdfab to rip to a video ts..... then handbreak to convert to mp4 for my xbox
    Quote Quote