VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a 720x576 DVD file that - according to PowerDVD - is supposed to be stretched for 1024x576 to maintain a 16:9 ratio. MediaInfo though claims it's 2.35:1 (CinemaScope).

I have at least 2 separate DVDs with this issue. Both of them are commercial Israeli films which may be the common ground.

Anyway, my question is just this - how do I covert it to Mpeg1 (to be embedded in PowerPoint in remote computers) via TMPGEnc 2.5 while keeping it 16:9?

TMPGEnc accidentally detects 4:3 for both "Aspect Ratio" and "Source aspect ratio". Manually supplying a 16:9 525 line (PAL) for both [+"Full screen (keep aspect ratio)] actually makes the result look like 4:3. So far, the best result came from leaving the 4:3 525 line (PAL) for "Aspect Ratio" and only changing to 16:9 525 line (PAL) in the "Source aspect ratio". But that means letterboxes in PowerPoint's edit mode (even if I choose 16:9 page layout). This may be fine, but I still don't like having to choose 16:9 just for the input.

http://rapidshare.com/files/340361615/720x576_but_wider_DAR.MPG.html - 6.19 Mb
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, there are other setings than ""Full screen (keep aspect ratio)" in
    TMPGEnc --- and also, those settings work differently for MPEG-1 encoding.

P.S.: Not to mention that many/most/all DirectShow MPEG-1 decoders
    (I'm supposing PowerPoint relies on them) do not support correctly video
    resolutions different than 352x240/352x288, nor Aspect Ratios different than
    4:3 and "1:1" (square pixels).

P.S.: There exist other freeware MPEG-1 encoders, such as QuEnc,
    mpeg2enc, ffmpeg and mencoder --- I think you should give them a try.
    Quote Quote