VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This all started after I replaced my motherboard. I had to do a Repair Installation for XP so not to lose all my programs. Before the replacement of the motherboard everything ran fine no problems.

Now, WMP11 will not play .mpg. It locks up and crashes but everything else seems to play fine. I have tried all sorts of different codec packages but nothing. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried a reinstall and still no go.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way that I can just set everything back to the defaults?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling packages and my computer basically crapped itself. Running really slow. I had vlc player setup as default for .mpg (which was a quick fix for the problems with WMP11). Now, vlc player is acting all messed up. Delays a long time before starting to play a .mpg file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall all the codecs packs and only have ffdshow and haali media splitter installed,that will play 99% of the files including mpg2 files.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I am really frustrated now!

I went to control panel and uninstalled the only other codec I had which was DVD Decoder Pack For Windows XP. Then, I installed ffdshow and haali media splitter. I went to my video folder. Immediately, the system started behaving very slow. I noticed the preview pane window would delay like 20sec. before showing a pic. Then, when I clicked on a .mpg file to open with whatever viewer it would crash. Then right after that I would get a Windows Explorer crash!

Anyone know what the heck is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to remove all my codecs in order to try again fresh? I know I am having some sort of conflict here. I removed everything from control panel. I know that there might be registry entries but don't know where to look for them. Can someone help me solve this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the video codecs I see in control panel from sounds and audio devices:
    Fraps Video Decompressor (frapsvid.dll)
    iccvid.dll
    Indeo I.263 Video Driver
    Indeo video 5.10
    ir32_32.dll
    ir41_32.dll
    iyuv_32.dll
    mcdvd_32.dll
    Microsoft Windows Media Video 9
    MimicICM.DLL
    msh261.drv
    msh263.drv
    MS-MPEG-4 MPEG-4 Video Codec
    msrle32.dll
    msvidc32.dll
    msyuv.dll
    TechSmith Screen Capture Codec (tsccvid.dll)
    tsbyuv.dll

Alternatively I looked up the video codecs on my other PC that runs WMP .mpegs fine:
    iccvid.dll
    iyuv_32.dll
    Microsoft Windows Media Video 9
    msh261
    msh263
    MS-MPEG-4 MPEG-4 Video Codec
    msrle32.dll
    msvidc32.dll
    msyuv.dll
    tsbyuv.dll
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also got Gspot but there are a ton of codecs listed. Also, when I tried to right click and unregister Fraps Video Decompressor and TechSmith Screen Capture Codec. The area is greyed out and won't let me.
    Quote Quote