VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a simple cutter. I used to run VirtualDub on SD DV capture:

mark beginning, mark end, delete

I only cut at I-frames so I've always used direct stream copy, no re-encoding.

Is there such software for AVC HD?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H264TS_Cutter is another choice. I tested it awhile back and it worked.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've tried TSSniper. It does not have keyboard shortcut. The concept there is you pick area to save (not to cut out) and export at the end. The resulting file lose the metadata (e.g. original data/time). So I don't think it's suitable.

I will try the others.
    Quote Quote  
  4. TSSniper can be used in either cut mode or scene mode, whichever is preferred. You can change the default in settings. I've tried h264ts_cutter as well and thought it made ugly cuts that introduced extraneous noise. (YMMV :P ) And none of the freeware basic H.264 editors are frame-accurate. [shrugs]
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. How do you set TSSniper in cutting mode?

setting -> generic behavior
    default operation mode for new project = cut mode
    default scene definition for new project files = file content is defined as cut

Still cut options are all greyed out.

Anything am I missing?

thx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Settings -> General -> Default scene definition for new project files ->

File content is defined as scene

or

File content is defined as cut.

I use Scene mode, you first clear the right-hand pane, then set in and out and add a scene to the right-hand panel. Repeat as necessary. For cut mode you define in and out for the cut and remove it from the project. It works pretty well with a little practice, good enough to remove adverts, although not accurate.

But that doesn't address your other concern, about which I'm not clear. TSSniper will index the material to be kept, merge it and export as a *.TS file. (H.264 transport stream).
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. The MTS file header contains metadata such as original data/time. Right now I don't have a tool that can extract metadata in editor (dvdate no longer works in Premiere). However, I'd think it will be available later so I'd like to keep the metadata in the header in the exported file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't your AVCHD camera come with s/w for basic cutting / editing? That's probably your best bet if you want to retain metadata.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Canon comes with Pixela ImageMixer and ZoomBrowser. It does not look like they have any video function at all.

I tried TSSniper again. It actually saves the header correctly.

The cut mode is really cut -- it just put the entire video as cut out to start with and you still add them back as it goes.

My complaint is:

You can't drop mts file on it.
    There is no keyboard shortcut for setting in/out
    Quote Quote  
  10. Looking at TS Doctor. I have mts files from Canon. It first go through checks and ask me to convert from 192 byte packet to 188. Do I loose any information here?

I actually can't figure out how to use it. The cutter support 3 sections. However, I don't have a clue on how to export the result.
    Quote Quote  
  11. One more issue with TSSniper: it saves .ts file which is not recognized by Premiere. I have to rename them to .mts. Any way to make it use mts extension?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote