VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to store (for now) all my music DVD's on a newly bought 1TB external hard drive. (I have already copied all my mp3s on this hard drive.

I have started, using DVD Fab Decrypter and stored a few on the hard drive in video/audio TS format. I do not shrink the originals, as there is more than enough space. I can play the files using Power DVD 9. I also have Nero 9 if I need to burn it to disc. I do not have BluRay.

Is this the way to go, or should I store them as ISO images? I sometimes use Shrink, DVD decrypter, etc. I will obviously keep the originals and copies of the DVDs, but since I've heard that a DVD has a certain lifespan, I really want to make sure about proper back-up.

Is this the way to go, or other suggestions

Thanks
    Albie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ISOs are one way.Folders are another. I use a number of external devices to hold my movies and something always on my mind is the device that will play them back. I have a number of Philips 5990s and a PS3 that will only play back a disk formatted Fat 32. Those DVDs have to be in folders so no file is larger than 4gb. I have a few media players that can access NTFS disks. For playing on those devices a file can be any length. Also, the PS3 will only access a single partition so that can also be a problem. My advice is that before you load up a 1 tb disk think about how you will be playing the movies.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth, the set top boxes that work 100% with full DVD rips (like the Asus O Play) prefer ISOs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avz10
    but since I've heard that a DVD has a certain lifespan,
    Was it that stupid already-debunked myth about a disc only lasting 2-5 years?

You really should rip to ISO.
    Here's why: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/why-iso-1849.html
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As Lordsmurf said an ISO is better if your going to play the movie back on your PC or just to have them as backups. Also, over 5-7 years ago I did buy some junk media I mean really junk and except for the few disks(2 or 3)that changed colors, they still play just fine.

If your Hard disk is formatted Fat32 than the ISO's will have to be cut into 4Gb chunks. Also, not all devices that connect to your TV with USB ports will take ISOs and except for the Media players none of them will accept a disk formatted NTFS.

Just somethings to consider if at some point in time you want to play your movies back to your TV thru a USB port.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently have 2 DVD players, one of them is also a recorder with a 250 GB hard drive. None has USB ports. I will wait until the Blu Ray players become cheaper and will buy one then. So for now, I cannot play movies back on the TV, but will definitely do that in future.

From the comments, it seems that ISO is the way to go. What program do I use to copy then? ( I have Nero 9 but do not see a way to copy it to the hard drive- are there specific settings?)

My OS is Windows XP SP2. I am not sure at all about the formatting that has been mentioned. I just connected the external hard drive to the pc and it installed itself.

Backing up PS2 games will not be possible, I suppose, with all the encrypting, because they get damaged/scratched so easily. I know in the past I could not copy them as a back up.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you just connected your External drive to the XP PC it would have been previously formatted Fat 32. Sometimes XP will see the fat 32 drive when you first connect it and ask if you want it reformatted to NTFS. Sometimes not. First thing you should do is to see what the disk is formatted as. If its still fat 32 than it will not write a file larger than 4gb to the drive so for ISOs that could be a problem. XP can update a fat 32 drive to NTFS without losing data....Sometimes. Once you switch from Fat to NTFS you cannot go back without losing all data on your external drive. As mentioned above, most DVD players with USB ports will not accept NTFS drives.
    Tony
    Quote Quote