VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys!

I'm trying to record a DVD for my little sister using about 50 video files which are in different formats, like AVI, MPEG, FLV and MP4.

I managed to create the DVD but it is almost unusable since the volume levels in the different files are extremely different from one another.

Is there any software that can do the job of adding multiple files and, prior to burning, normalize the volume of all of them to a standard level (so that all files have the same volume)?

I know it is possible to extract the audio from the files, normalize and multiplex such audio with the corresponding video... but there must be a program that can handle all of these processes at once!

Thanks in advanced!

Martín

PS: By the way, this site and specifically the forum section is really interesting!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try ConvertXtoDVD, I think it has a built in normalizer.

from ConvertXtoDVD changelog:
    - 0000441: [Feature Request] Normalize Audio

About the 'Normalize Audio':
    A sound compressor has been implemented, to adjust automatically sound pressure. It support any number of channels.

A new setting in the sound tab has been implemented to set the strength of the compressor. To simplify, only one setting is available, the maximum gain.

A good value is 18-20 dB of max. gain, authorized range is from 3dB (very light) to 40 dB (extremely loud).

The maximum gain apply at -100 dB, and linearly decrease to 0 dB when the input sound pressure reaches 0 dB.

So with a Max gain of 20 dB, if the source is at -50 dB the gain will be 10 dB, thus the output will be at -40 dB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, guys!

I'll try both options, but I'll go with ConvertXtoDVD first since I'd have to convert all my videos to AVI in order to use Soopafresh's bat file; I'm not looking for top quality audio this time anyway...

I'll certainly come back and comment on the results!

Thanks again ^^

Martín
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there!

Well, I tried using ConvertXtoDVD 4.0.4.313... and as far as my ears can hear the volume problem is solved.

But now the DVD stops itself randomly after a few videos. Sometimes, it even gets stucked in a particular video and some other times the same video which got stucked before is played perfectly well.

Maybe it's some faulty option regarding chapters or playback looping in the program? I tried anything that made sense in the software and it didn't help much....

Have you ever heard about a problem like this using ConvertXtoDVD? If not, I'll go back to the audio issue and look for a different solution...

Thanks in advanced!
    Quote Quote