VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just received a new DVD player for Christmas and would like to purchase a Region 2 DVD box set. I have a Region 1 Samsung DVD-P190. Does anyone know of a region free hack code for this make and model?
    Thank you.
    Tom B.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can your NTSC television handle PAL video?
    Can the Samsung P190 convert PAL format to NTSC format video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Samsung and Sony DVD players are among the most difficult in the world to make region free. Plus you live in the USA, which adds to your problem as even if there is somewhere a region unlock code for this player, it may not work on your model. Most DVD players sold in the USA and Canada cannot ever be unlocked. Maybe you will be lucky and someone will post a code that works for you, but the odds are against you. You can thank Hollywood for this.

As hech54 points out, even if you get it unlocked somehow, unless the player can convert PAL to NTSC output or your TV can accept a PAL signal you may be able to "play" the DVDs and yet not be able to watch them. If you have a standard definition TV, the odds are astronomically high that it will not accept PAL video input. Some HDTVs sold in the USA can accept PAL input, but many do not. Samsung HDTVs do not. You might check the DVD player's setup menu and see if there is a video output setting that can be changed between PAL and NTSC. If you don't see that, the odds are that your DVD player cannot convert PAL video to NTSC output, so you'll need a TV capable of accepting PAL video input to ever hope to watch these region 2 DVDs. Well, I assume by region 2 you mean Europe and not Japan. No video problems if your DVDs are from Japan.

Among DVD only players (by this I mean not BluRay players), a few Philips and Pioneer models sold in the USA may still be able to be unlocked, but you'll have to do your own research to find the model numbers and unlock instructions. Philips and Pioneer DVD players can convert PAL video to NTSC output - the trick is can you unlock them or not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Don't know about the PAL capability. Will look in to it.
    I do have a DVD disc drive on my computer. Is there any possibility I could play a Region 2 on my PC?
    Sorry. Don't know much about this subject.
    Tom B.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hypnotised
    I do have a DVD disc drive on my computer. Is there any possibility I could play a Region 2 on my PC?
    Sorry. Don't know much about this subject.
    Tom B.
    Yes. VLC is free and will ignore region coding. Any commercial DVD player (ie. PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc.) will not work.

Also, you can look for a guide on ripping and reburning. Ripping to a PC and reburning to DVD+/-R media will give you a DVD without region coding.
    Quote Quote