VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does a PC running Vista copy JPegs to a CD? Does it tell lies about the image order?
    I want to download images off my digital camera in the order they were taken, preserving the filenames in their alpha-numeric order, onto my PC, burn them to a CD and show them on TV with a DVD player. Trouble is, the DVD player index of the images is different from what the PC says, and they play in that wrong order.
    Lite-On say it is a computer problem; computer manufacturer says it is a DVD problem; photographic shop says why use a PC? Do it on a MAC and you will have no problems!!
    To identify the problem I tried to see if other players saw the same order on the CD, but neither my Philips DVD player or my Toshiba could read the disc.
    I normally work in video, without any such problems, but with JPegs it goes wrong. (I am putting a couple of hundred images on a disc, using Windows Explorer to burn them.)

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PC (and a Mac, for that matter) can show the photos in a range of orders - by name, by date, by size - etc. You choose by selecting the column header of the display, and the photos will be re-ordered to suit.

Any application that displays photos will do so in the order that it is programmed to. That order might not be immediately obvious. The same goes for a DVD player, You may (and probably will) find that different players by different manufacturers will also play the photos in different orders.

You might start by providing screen shots of how the PC displays the photos, and how the DVD player displays them (you may have to use a digital camera for the latter), so we can see what you are dealing with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guns1inger suggests different DVD players will play the images in different orders - that is worrying! I assumed that they played them in the order they were burned to the disc, unless asked to do otherwise, ie to shuffle them.
    I could supply screenshots tomorrow if that would help, but the problem is simple - I burn the images in ascending number order, say 01-250 on the PC, but they show on the DVD player index and play as maybe 09,53,64,02 etc. This order does not relate to any obvious parameters that I can see - image size, date of creation etc.
    I also thought that CD's were more foolproof than DVD for this, but apparently not. I could convert them to a video file, or make a PowerPoint presentation, but that would be tedious. Does the DVD player really not play the images sequentially, as it reads them off the disc? Why on earth not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The order they are burned to the disc is generally alpha-numerical, but again, this can be changed depending on the burning program you use.

The only way to guarantee that they will always play in the correct order is to make a video slideshow and author it as a DVD. This will always play in the right order on any PC and any DVD player (again, within reason - you cannot guarantee playback of burned media either).

The order burned/read will be the same for CD and DVD media.

I suspect the issue is the order they are being burned is not the order you think it is. What burning application are you using ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For simplicity and ease of use I just dragged the images to the CD in Windows Explorer and burned them with that. I also put them in a separate container file in the correct order and dragged and burned that, but the result was identical on playback.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows uses "smart" alphanumeric sorting
    PIC1, PIC2, PIC3...PIC9, PIC10, etc

But "normal" alphanumeric would give
    PIC1, PIC10, PIC11...PIC199, PIC2, PIC20, PIC21

since all the 1's in the third digit come before 2 in the third digit!

I believe ISObuster allows you to view the CD in the burnt order by sorting by the sector location of each file

Trevor
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD players are usually pretty dumb, and will do the latter - i.e. standard alpha-numeric sorting. Burn with something like Imgburn instead, and you will probably get a more consistent result.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you most likely need to add the preceding zeros to all files. pic1 through p999 need to be pic001, pic002, ... , pic099, etc. if it's more than 1000 pics you will need to add another leading 0 to each and every picture file name.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I shall have a look at those. The actual file name order of the images as they were indexed and played on the DVD was: DSCN5475, DSCN5436,DSCN5589,DSCN5387,DSCN5429,DSCN5547,DSCN5 505,DSCN5468 and so on, instead of DSCN5364 to 5591 as on the computer.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies, I shall go and get my head down now, play again tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am having the same problem. I burned a cd of pictures, CD-R which were named and displayed in numerical order 1-264 using Windows Live Photos. The cd plays in order on my computer cd player but when I play it on my Panasonic Blu-ray BD35, they are not in order. I have tried to rename the multiple photos by highlighting all photos, right clicking on first photo, RENAME with a file name, ENTER, but they rename WITH FILE NAME .jpg, the next one isFILE NAME (1).jpg, FILE NAME (2).jpg and so on. Do I manually have to rename each of the 264 photos adding 0"s i.e., 00001, 00002, 00003, 00100, 00200, 00264 and after doing all that....will they play in correct order?
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is a frustrating problem, but unfortunately there isn't any easy fix. The problem is caused by the bare-bones, clueless "computer" that runs the player or recorder: almost all of them are programmed to read obscure file data off the DVD to determine display order. Instead of prioritizing file names, almost all players and recorders I've used seem to track invisible file data carried over from the computer HDD, such as what order each file was originally copied to the HDD. This is hard to explain, and took me a long time to figure out, but it works something like this:I copy 20 photos from a camera or online websites to a folder on my HDD. I rename the files to put them in an order I prefer. I burn a DVD, a CD, or load them to a thumb drive. I put this media into my DVD recorder or player. Presto!

The stupid thing completely ignores my filename and numbering scheme, defaults to some invisible source of data that tells it what the original camera-generated filenames were, and displays in that order instead. Or, it somehow "knows" which files were originally copied to the computer first, and uses that to determine display order, instead of the filenames and numbers I entered myself. Really, really annoying. The only workaround I've been able to come up with is to create a new folder on my computer, insert the problem disc of images, and tediously copy each individual image one at a time to the new folder in the order I want them to display. I then copy this new set of images to another disc, and this disc will finally play in the order I prefer when loaded in a DVD player. Its so much work I never bother anymore- its easier to make a slide show.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dimmick1 View Post
    I am having the same problem. I burned a cd of pictures, CD-R which were named and displayed in numerical order 1-264 using Windows Live Photos. The cd plays in order on my computer cd player but when I play it on my Panasonic Blu-ray BD35, they are not in order. I have tried to rename the multiple photos by highlighting all photos, right clicking on first photo, RENAME with a file name, ENTER, but they rename WITH FILE NAME .jpg, the next one isFILE NAME (1).jpg, FILE NAME (2).jpg and so on. Do I manually have to rename each of the 264 photos adding 0"s i.e., 00001, 00002, 00003, 00100, 00200, 00264 and after doing all that....will they play in correct order?
    You don't have to manually rename them, but you will have to rename them. Look at something like irfanview if you also need to process the files, or just google for free file rename utilities and you will find plenty listed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for all the info. You have saved me much time. I will keep ISObuster, Irfanview, and Imgburn in mind. For now, think I will just make a slide show. I appreciate all of your input.
    Quote Quote