VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

I am ripping Blu-ray tracks with Makemkv, no problem - the resultant mkv file on my HD plays fine in VLC. I then re-encode using Handbrake, (High Profile Preset, DTS pass-through, to make a smaller mkv). This mkv is around 5-6 Gb depending on the running time for the film. I then want to make a M2TS file to play on the PS3. I have tried TSMuxeR and mkv2vob, and TSmuxeR errors, while mkv2vob will produce a file, but it is only 1/2 to 2/3 of the film! (The Prestige is a 2hr film, but I only got 1-20, and The Untouchables is over 2hrs and I get just over 1hr.

I haven't used any setting to split files to FAT32 or USB media, so I don't know why I only get part of the film. The mkv file encoded by Handbrake (5-6GB) plays in its entirety in VLC on my Mac (although it doesn't play properly in VLC on Win 7).

I have tried multiAVCHD too, and that errors just like TSmuxeR. Is it Handbrake making faulty mkv files? Please any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Capt Blackadder
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried use bd rebuilder to shrink the blu-ray?

You can't rip with makemkv then though but you can try the free dvdfab decrypter or buy AnyDVDHD.

And you can also try use ripbot264 to shrink the mkv or blu-ray to blu-ray/avchd m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestions Baldrick. If poss I wanted the solution to be Mac based, but I will try ripbot264 tonight. I am still a little baffled why the downsized mkv will play in VLC, but can't be remuxed?

Does dvdfab decrypter encode BLu-ray or just rip to HD?

Thanks

Capt Blackadder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it may have been a problem with makemkv on the Mac. I re-ripped the movie on Win7 (also with makemkv) and used multiAVCHD, and it seemed to work. It is also faster encoding than Handbrake (similar 7000 bitrate for DVD-DL, 6 hours for multiAVCHD, 14 hours for Handbrake!!!)

I couldn't get ripbot to work. (But that may have been using the faulty Mac mkv file!)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ta

Capt Blackadder

Quote Quote  
  5. Faster encode = worse quality. Nothing is for free.
    Quote Quote