VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just registered here, and am not very computer literate, so apologies. Here's my question:-

I’ve been making DVD clips for my teaching work with DVD Shrink 3.2. My clips are all VIDEO-TS files which I keep in folders. (I find this less fussy than book marking and carrying around DVDs, as the all clips can be kept on one memory stick). The problem is that the clips seem to slow down and some start freezing about an hour into the session. (It's almost as if they get tired!) Has anyone had this problem, and do you know if there is a way to fix it? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SLow down and freezes when you play it on your computer? or standalone dvd player? or something else?
    And are you playing them from the memory stick? Same problem if you try play them from the hdd?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply, Baldrick. Yes, the slow down and/or freeze happens when I play the clips on my Vaio laptop. (I show the clips through a multi-media projector connected to the Vaio) I still get the same problem if I play the clips from the Vaio hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It may be an overheat problem with the laptop. Try running a program like HWMonitor during playback: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php It could be overheat with the on-board video chip or the CPU. You should also check the CPU usage with Task Manager during playback as something may be running that is slowing down the system at the point where the playback slows down.

If those same clips play correctly on other systems, then there seems to be something in the laptop that is the cause. If all clips do it at the same interval, then a hardware problem would be my first guess. And overheating of the GPU or CPU may be the reason. If you've had that laptop for a while, the thermal paste on the CPU may be getting old, or it may have a bit of dust clogging the cooling system.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz, thank you. I'll do what you suggest. (And thanks for the welcome!)
    Quote Quote