VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I run filmerit and found I have over 400 codecs. I've deleted about 50 from Roxio and there are still 350+ left. I've been having a lot of problem with stability on video playback lately.

How do I clean up the house?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look in the Tools section under "codecs"

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=codecs

Several codec management tools are listed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are under the codec/video identifiers section, try more tools like CodecInstaller, Codec Tweak Tool, dxman.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd give the suggested software a try. If the problems persist, and seem to still be codec related, then consider a re-install of the OS. If you have installed a lot of codec packs, they don't always un-install cleanly and sometimes starting over with a clean OS install is the easiest way to fix it all in one step.

I usually put ffdshow in a new computer and it handles most video formats without using any codec packs. Any other needed codecs can be installed individually. If you just need playback of odd formats, VLC works well. Then I sometimes add Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative players for those formats.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How can I tell which one to keep and which one to delete?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take them all out and do as redwuz sez.
    "I usually put ffdshow in a new computer and it handles most video formats without using any codec packs. Any other needed codecs can be installed individually. If you just need playback of odd formats, VLC works well. Then I sometimes add Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative players for those formats. "
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cheerful
    How can I tell which one to keep and which one to delete?

thanks!
    Use one of the tools to deactiate all of them and start clean, it's the best way.

Just add codecs as you need them.

I use one of the codec packs, K-Lite.
    If you use it carefully it can simplify things. Its installer lets you choose exactly which codecs to install and uninstall (including ffdshow).
    People have problems if they install "everything", or even worse, install multiple codec packs, then you end up with multiple versions of the same codec all over the place and broken players.
    Quote Quote