VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I film football games for a small profit. I find that a few parents have gotten smart and are making copies for the rest of the parents. Is there a way to stop this? Or at least make it harder for them???
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slaak
    Is there a way to stop this?
    Nope.

Or at least make it harder for them???
    Try applying CPPM (for DVD-Audio) onto DVD-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool! I am very new to this. Is there a program that I can use? How is this done? THX btw!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. I remember once a HUGE argument about a topic like this last year
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    I remember once a HUGE argument about a topic like this last year
    And the year before that... and the year before that... and the year before that... In fact, all the way back to 2001 when DVD burners became mainstream.

And, IIRC, CPPM requires a special burner.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just tell them you will stop distributing the game if they copy. Withhold the season end to make the point.

Nobody gets a copy until 100 are sold.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Charge Less>?
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by SLK001
    Originally Posted by MJA
    And the year before that... and the year before that... and the year before that... In fact, all the way back to 2001 when DVD burners became mainstream.

And, IIRC, CPPM requires a special burner.
    I remember one that got nasty when they started to argue about if he got the right to tape football games.
    so since he didn't buy the right to tape.he doesn't have the right to charge.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    slaak - Welcome to the forums.

We get asked this every now and then. El Heggunte's suggestion is complete nonsense by the way, so ignore that.

If you want, go to the Forum Index that shows all the forums and search on the topic. I am absolutely NOT going to do your work for you, but a couple of years ago or so we had a post from a guy in Poland who claimed to have a way that while not impossible to prevent copies did make it incredibly difficult. It requires some knowledge and experience on your part to attempt it that you may not have. It involves placing bad sectors on the disc and (I think) deliberately corrupting a table of contents marker. Some Hollywood studios use a similar mechanism to make copying DVDs difficult. It can be defeated by people who know what they are doing.

You could pay to press your DVDs and ask that CSS be used on your DVDs by the pressing studio. That is the copy protection that all commercial DVDs use and while it certainly can be defeated by 100% of the rippers out there, it does prevent dumb asses from simply doing "Copy DVD" in something like Nero to copy your homemade and unprotected DVDs. Better than nothing, but it adds to your cost to pay for it and for pressing. No consumer authoring program will allow you to add CSS to your disc. You have pay a pressing plant to do it.

To be blunt, if your cost structure gets blown by people copying your DVDs, the reality is that you probably shouldn't be doing it all. And generally speaking classfour is dead on by suggesting that a low enough cost usually discourages copying because many people will pay for media if it's not too expensive as copying takes time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah every year someone comes here and posts the same question, the answer is no you can't copy-protect unless you order 1000+ copies from a professional DVD pressing company.
    If you contracted with the school to sell DVD's then you can have set prices, if you are just some parent shooting video then just price them low and hope they sell. If you want to sell a bunch of DVD's work with the school and give them a percantage that goes toward sports programs, it's a win-win situation.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All good advice here. Your best option is to:

1) Refuse to tape a couple of games--or at least go a couple of weeks without offering copies of games you tape. Tell folks that it is no longer worth the effort since you lose money when they make their own copies. I don't know where you're from, but where I live, people tend to be neighborly and appreciative enough pay for the work--provided that the person recording the event is not an opportunist trying to gouge them. Which brings us to...

2) Drop your prices. If it's cheap enough, folks would rather not hassle with burning copies. (Volume sales is how Walmart makes its profits--not jacked up prices for individual items.)

3) Accept the reality that there will always be some jerk here and there who will make copies anyway. If you expect everyone to play by your rules 100 percent of the time, you're in the wrong vocation.

4) Remember that no one is holding a gun to your head to make you videotape the games. If you are looking to have a profit-making business, this is probably the wrong field. But if you have a "labor of love" attitude and aim to serve, appreciative people will usually support the endeavor.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Thank you all for the advice. I will lower the cost and see what happens. We do love what we do but wouldnt do it for free. Perhaps a "season package" deal before all the parents get to know each other would work. Thanks again, answers my question perfectly!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    It wasn't a huge argument - it was a wide ranging discussion with lots of different viewpoints expressed in a robust manner - it is a sticky in the DVD Authoring forum :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic223640.html
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Originally Posted by MJA
    It wasn't a huge argument - it was a wide ranging discussion with lots of different viewpoints expressed in a robust manner - it is a sticky in the DVD Authoring forum :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic223640.html
    this one here.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic359120.html

Putting a copyright on your dvds with Sony Vegas Pro 8.1?

ingeborgdot wrote:
    Of our football season. I don't really mean copyright either. I mean so they can't just go out and copy it and give it to others. I put in 48 hours of work on this and don't want it getting copied.

deadrats wrote
    you know i wasn't going to say anything, but i just can't help myself: your attitude really sickens me. why? because you recorded an event participated by numerous people, who put in a lot of time, energy and practice, without which you wouldn't have the material with which to create a dvd, and then you want to try and prevent others from sharing a video memory of what they themselves were a part of. does that just about sum up what you want?

i don't care if you are the coach, a player on the team, a parent or just a spectator, the thought that you would actually try and claim a copyright to a recording of a public event and then actively try to prevent others from obtaining a copy of the dvd you created because "you put in 48 hours of work" is appalling. i guess the weeks of work the players put in actually playing the games doesn't amount to a hill of beans as far as you're concerned, it just sucks to be them, right?

it's too bad that it's against this forums rules to advise you to stick the dvd where the sun don't shine as a fool proof way of making sure no one else gets a copy of it, because that's just what i feel like telling you.

but as i said, it's against the rules, so i will refrain, what a bummer.

Quote Quote