VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. EDIT: I think the motherboard may be picky on what JEDEC timings is supports. I'm unfamiliar with this type of issue.

I'm stumped on what RAM will work with my motherboard. It's a GVC AR862 (Link) which "Supports 2 x 168 pin DIMM sockets, support 32MB minimum and up to 1GB maximum | 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512MB PC 66/100/133 SDRAM/VCM DIMM | and 16, 64, 128 and 256Mbits memory chips". I've tried dozens of 256MB and 512MB sticks which have standard 64x64M configuration some being PC100 or PC133. The only one that doesn't have major stability issues is the original 64MB stick that came with the PC. I'm hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction. I was able to boot up Windows long enough to glean this information from CPU-Z:

Current motherboard configuration
    Memory Type SDRAM
    Memory Size 576 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 100.2 MHz (1:1)
    DRAM Interleave 4-way
    CAS# latency (CL) 2.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 3
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 6

Original 64MB module that works:
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) SpecTek Incorporated (7F7FB5FFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 64 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC125 (125 MHz)
    Part number
    Serial number FFFFFFFF
    Manufacturing date Week 255/Year 255
    Number of banks 1
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no
    EPP no
    XMP no
    JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    JEDEC #1 2.0-3-3-5-0 @ 83 MHz
    JEDEC #2 3.0-4-4-7-0 @ 125 MHz

Example of a tested 512MB stick that does not work:
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC125 (125 MHz)
    Part number 16LSDT6464AG-10EB1
    Serial number 1A13C92D
    Manufacturing date Week 06/Year 02
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no
    EPP no
    XMP no
    JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    JEDEC #1 2.0-2-2-5-0 @ 100 MHz
    JEDEC #2 3.0-3-3-7-0 @ 125 MHz

Note: Everything in the system has been tested in other PCs and is known to work. The BIOS does not allow for any adjustment to memory settings whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using ram that old is going to be a problem finding any that will work with that system,sounds like the mb is very picky about ram,any reason you need an old design system like that running?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's a friend's computer. They don't have the money to buy a new system and would be satisfied if I could get 1GB (2x512MB) to work in it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some of those old via boards were sensitive to single or double sided memory boards. it's been a long.......... time but i think they needed low density double sided memory boards. check the one that worked and see if there are chips on both sides.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss
    some of those old via boards were sensitive to single or double sided memory boards. it's been a long.......... time but i think they needed low density double sided memory boards. check the one that worked and see if there are chips on both sides.
    Working = single sided. I have tried so called "high density" 512MB RAM that is single sided but that was just as bad or worse. I think this might have something to do with the JEDEC timings. The one stick that works, which is labeled PC100, supports 83MHz and 125MHz. What's that all about? I could be looking in the wrong direction but I didn't notice any of the other sticks I've tried with those timings. The PC100s were 100/125MHz and PC133 100/133MHz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well the mb's old enough the capacitors may not be holding voltage at appropriate levels for most ram. the stuff i used in via boards with amd 1.3 athlons was ocz micro bga pc-166, single sided hd. it was engineered for overclocking 133 fsb boards, but would also run at 66, 100 or 133.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote