VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So like an idiot I deleted some videos off of my blackberry and now I need them. I used 3 different programs to recovery the files and got them back but I only partial playback on one file and the others appear to parts of the same file but don't play. I attempted to use a hex editor to combine the code but I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to hex. Does anyone know of a working solution to this problem? I would like to get the one file I have to play all of the video. What it does now is starts a blue background and then starts to play the video then it is basically a series of still images for about 80% of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With most devices, once you delete a file, the OS uses that space for other storage. If anything was written over the files, then that part is permanently lost. Unless you 'undelete' immediately, parts of the file are likely gone and replaced with other data.

If the file plays at all, a hex editor may not help much. It's more useful when the header info is missing and you can't play it back at all. But you could compare the hex info with info on a known good file of about the same duration and you may be able to see if what you have left is video or just random data.

One thread about using a hex editor: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/repair-recovered-mp4-file-t352152.html

Have you tried VLC for playback? It can often play partial or damaged video files. I don't know if it can handle that format, though.

But others here may have some better ideas.

Good luck and welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote