VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! I'm a new user of Vob 2 MPG 3.0 PRO - just purchased it today. I'm running it on a Windows XP machine. I was able to download, install, and register just fine.

I opened a DVD and ran the extract, which worked fine. It gave me an MPG file that is appx 273,000 KB in size. I now want to open that file for editing, but am having difficulty.

1. When I try to import it into Adobe Premier Pro 2.0, it hangs.

2. When I double click on it, it opens in Windows Media Player as an audio file, with the audio visualization effect, rather than opening as a video file.

3. When I try to open it in VirtualDub to convert to an avi file, it gives me this error message: "MPEG Import Filter: Invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set, possibly MPEG-2 stream"

Where do I go from here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will PM you with FTP details.... Will you be able to upload it so i can take a look?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i have looked at this. Was the DVD commercial and encrypred?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Chris! The DVD was commercial. I don't know whether it was encrypted - it's possible, since it was commercial. Is that the problem? Is there a workaround?

I'm trying to put together a compilation DVD of favorite clips for my family to view, which is why I'm trying to extract something from a commercial video. I thought it would be a good small "practice project" to learn some new technologies (including yours) before taking on the bigger project I'm working on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think AnyDVD will resolve this problem. It will decrypt, on the fly, the encryption that exists on all comercial DVDs.... Or use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip to your hard drive first - then use VOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the suggestion. I have AnyDVD. I usually don't have it automatically load when I start the machine because I don't want the overhead of it running when I'm NOT working on DVD projects.

So, I went ahead and loaded AnyDVD. After doing that, I tried two different things. One was to use Vob2Mpeg to extract the title I was looking for directly from disc in the DVD drive. The resulting MPEG file could be imported into an Adobe Premiere project, which is farther than what I got without AnyDVD, but when I tried to export it as AVI that generated an error condition. VirtualDub couldn't open the Mpeg file at all.

So then I tried using AnyDVD to rip the entire DVD to my hard disk, and used Vob2MPG to extract the title from the DVD image on the hard drive. I got the same results as I described above.

AnyDVD informed me that a newer version was available, so I downloaded and installed that, then tried the process again. Same error conditions as before.

Any suggestions? Should I ftp the after-using-AnyDVD version of the MPG file to you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes please.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, it's uploading now under the name of karnival.mpg

In the meantime, while that's uploading, I'm in the process of using DVD Fab to rip the DVD to a hard drive. I'll then try vob2mpg against that hard drive image and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried using vob2mpg on the same video clip after using DVD Fab to do the rip. I got the same results as what I got with AnyDVD.

With AnyDVD running, I decided to try using DVDx to extract the clip instead of using vob2mpg. DVDx extracted it successfully. I was able to open the file in Adobe Premiere, edit it, and export to avi.

So, we have another data point. Ie, that with AnyDVD running, vob2mpg generates a file that cannot be edited in Adobe Premier, but DVDx is able to generate a file that works fine.

So, the fact that DVDx can do it when vob2mpg cannot would seem to suggest there's something about the source disk that vob2mpg isn't handling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. Would you be happy to upload the whole DVD for me to get to the bottom of it please?
    Quote Quote  
  11. It always pains me to see people pay money for stuff they can get for free.
    DVD decrypter ==> copy DVD to harddrive
    AutoGK ==> vob to mpeg or avi
    DVD Flick ===> avi or mpeg to DVD

Why did you need vob2mpeg actually?
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote