VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have successfully backed up only one Blu-Ray video after acquiring a quad-core computer.
    I am still having issues, but I believe I have found the problem.
    First of all, I should mention that my only successful backup was for Taken, using the BD Rebuilder guide by milOtis.
    I had trouble with several other movies, so I also tried AVCHDCoder as well.
    What I finally noticed was that all the other movies I was trying were using the VC-1 codec (found this at http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php )
    For some reason my system was not using the usual wmv9 codec.
    After reading a post on a forum from doom9 I decided to try a codec pack (I would normally avoid codec packs like the plague).
    I ran the test in AVCHDCoder and all three passed (It had always failed on the VC-1 test before, even after configuring ffdshow).
    I will update on whether or not I get a positive encode with this installed

So, in summary I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the problem with the VC-1 codec, or if someone knew another solution besides the evil codec pack that I have now installed on my system.
    I guess I should also note that I have only been attempting BD-5, movie-only backups for now.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you set it up just as JDobbs says in his original post you will not need the CODEC packs to eventually mess your system up.

Here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have had no problems with ffdshow and VC-1 encoded BD discs. But some people *do* have trouble, and the causes are obscure. Every so often there's a thread here on that very subject.

Usually, installing WMP11 and disabling VC-1 decoding in ffdshow solves the problem, not always. WMP11 has the Microsoft VC-1 decoder. I notice that the latest ffdshow has a number of bug fixes involving VC-1. Since my rig is working okay, I have no need to be constantly updating versions of ffdshow.

My advice is to get either the latest version of ffdshow or skip back a couple of builds and try that. Alternatively, go the WMP11 route. It wouldn't hurt to re-install AviSynth and Haali as well. It's surprising how many times someone's troubles with BDRB have been solved by simple re-installs of those ancillary tools.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wanted to add: I was having a ton of trouble with VC-1. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, played with the ffdshow settings, tried everything suggested here, nothing worked. Finally last night, I went through the AVCHDecoder 'Installation Guide' and used the links there (which I've tried a couple times before as well) and it worked. It actually passed the VC1 decoding test there

(I wanted to post my success- I've been lurking-and getting lots of help- since the VCDHelp days but finally joined lol)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the JDobbs installation process to a tee.
    I realize that the VC-1 codec problem is a strange anomaly that only effects certain 'idiots' on these forums.
    My computer is brand new and all I have done is update windows and install this software.
    Basically this machine will be for Blu-ray backup only.
    It is running the latest releases of all listed software, including WMP11. I tried all options with VC-1 in ffdshow.

Anyway, I will try uninstalling everything and starting over. If that doesn't work I will go back and try a different release.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote