VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio that is about 2 years old. Recently the battery that came with it wouldn't hold a charge, so I ordered a new one and made sure it was compatible before buying it. Now I get no power on the laptop with either battery or when using the ac power cord. Any ideas on how to get this working again? I'm not sure if it went into some kinda crazy hibernation as a result of no power for a couple of weeks. I do get a green light on my ac adapter, so I know it has power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds to me like maybe the place on the laptop that the power cable connects to has broken in side the laptop...This happened to my daughters Dell B 130 laptop before christmas, cheap fix, but a pain in the ass to replace it...info on the Dell here...Maybe the same thing happened to the Sony

http://www.power-jack-repair.com/Dell.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reinstall old battery and try power up ... if it fires up then the battery you purchased is either defective or not compatible ... circuit wise

Most of these new systems have a circuit designed to check and monitor batteries ... if anything is wrong it will prevent power up

Failing this either the power circuit has failed or the adapter has a fault ... just because the adapters green light is on dose not mean all is well ... few do suffer from shorting in the plug which connects to the unit

You may wish to disassemble the unit and check the power jack for damage ... Sony Vaio VGN-S360P ... power jack replacement

Many more via this link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a multimeter and check your power adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So does the laptop boot at all?

Also the green light on the ac will let you know the cord is working so I would agree with checking the power connection.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are there any lights or any indications of power on the Laptop itself? How about before the battery change?

Is the ac adapter connection at the laptop loose? Can you GENTLY wiggle it a bit, while checking for any indicator lights?

Very, very common for this connection to fail.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Plug the battery off and run your laptop. If it’s running in normal. I think your sony VAIO PCG-FXA47 battery has some problems. Otherwise check if your power wire connect adapter well. Hope it happen or you must take it to the seller or laptop manufacturer service station.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I get no lights at all or anything when plugging it up to ac. I think it maybe needs to have the power jack changed. I will update with any new info once I figure out what the problem definitely is.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Was the battery purchased off of eBay by chance?
    I only buy from these guys: http://www.laptopbatterystore.com/
    Quote Quote