VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I have a load of HD 1280x720 mkv files and I wish to view them in HD on my HDTV via my PS3.

I know that the PS3 can't read the mkv format, so I have a software called mkv2vob. What I do is run them through mkv2vob to unpack the mkv container, but I skip the transcoding stage so the file retains all it's quality and it doesn't need to be transcoded to work on the PS3 (as I have tried it)

So great, I can view the files in full 720p on my TV. But the trouble is, without transcoding the subtitles aren't kept on the file. I extracted the subtitles from the original mkv file, but I can't find a way to get them onto the .mpg file (which is what I get after running the file trough mkv2vob) without having to re encode the track etc losing lots of quality etc etc.

So what I want to do is hardcode the subtitles onto the original mkv track, that way when I run it through mkv2vob I can skip the transcoding stage thus keeping the full quality and I can retain the subs as they are hardcoded onto the video.

Is there any way of hardcoding them onto the original mkv file without losing quality etc?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. Hardcoding subs requires that you reconvert/transcode.

BUT you could instead try make an AVCHD/Blu-ray for the ps3 using multiavchd, load the mkv and and subtitle file. Play the AVCHD on your PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does that require burning them onto a disk?

My last DVD-RW seems to have crapped out on me for some unknown reason so I'm viewing them via USB on my PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bobo343
    Normally, yes. I have no idea if the PS3 can read this format from USB or not.

My last DVD-RW seems to have crapped out on me for some unknown reason so I'm viewing them via USB on my PS3.
    Burners are cheap. Check the prices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Normally, yes. I have no idea if the PS3 can read this format from USB or not.

Burners are cheap. Check the prices.
    Not the drive itself, the actual DVD.

When I put it in my PC it just acts as if there's nothing in the DVD drive, did the same for my other PC and the PS3.

I'll put it on a USB and see if the PS3 can read the format.

Edit - Nevermind I've got the AVCHD all working now. Only one small problem, with longer sentences the subtitles go off screen and get clipped instead of stacking on top of each other. I've reduced the font size so this won't happen as much, but is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Either use Subtitle Workshop to fix the subtitles (open the file, ctrl-a / select all, ctrl-e / split lines, save) or use [x] Advanced subtitle processing in multiAVCHD (it however requires avisynth and java to be installed).

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So do I have to extract the subtitles from the file, edit them, then reattach them?

Edit - I went for the easier way, I installed the latest version of Java and installed AVisynth. I'll run multiAVCHD and try the file again see if it works.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Another edit - after enabling advanced subtitle processing it all works great, the original fonts for the subtitles are kept, they no longer go off screen etc.

Thanks again for the help!
    Quote Quote