VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It's the only way I can describe it. I have a foolproof method, now, of converting HD rips that were encoded to .mkv or .mp4 format. the video is h264, .mp4 container. I encode them to fit on 1 dvd, it can't be HD quality, but the result is very good quality, playable on my dvd player,and it fits on one 4.7GB disc. I demuxed the raw video, from the origninal, with Yamb, then created a .DGA file with DGAVCIndex, then created an avisynth script from that. When I play back the avisynth script file with my media player, there is a green line at the bottom of the video window, and I don't know why. If I use avc2avi to convert the raw video to an .avi container, I don't get the line at the bottom, bu there is a quick flash of green screen, right at the beginning of the video. Color space of the video is YVU12. Any guesses? Thanks.

By the way, all the programs I mentioned, are legit freeware, not warez.
    Quote Quote  
  2. h.264 encoding works on 16x16 blocks of pixels. 1080 isn't evenly divisible by 16 so 1080 line videos have a "phantom" 8 lines at the bottom of the frame. Some decoders will return those 8 lines (1088 lines total) with junk in them. Some decoders have a "force 1080 lines" option. Since you're using AviSynth you can always just Crop() them away.

And sometimes there's junk at the edges of the frame. HDTVs normally simulate overscan so you don't see the edges of the frame. They do this because the manufacturers know there's sometimes junk there. Broadcasters don't worry about junk there because they know TVs overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried to crop the bottom, just with the crop filter in Virtualdub, the line just crept up. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you talking about in your output file? Be sure to use a mod16 frame size.
    Quote Quote