VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the title implies I'm trying to convert video for my ipod touch. I already know that you can convert the video then mux the srt. However, I'd like to keep the font & effects that come with ASS/SSA subs. Is there anyway I can mux ASS/SSA with the MP4 (m4v) container? I know I can just hardsub them but that would take way too much time.

Also, I've looked into using RipBot264 but it tells me that I need to install FFDshow rev 3100 or later. I already have CCCP installed which came with FFDshow so if I were to download rev 3100 would it conflict or something?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt the iPod supports .ass subtitles, muxed or otherwise. You can try converting the MKVs directly to iPod video formats using AVIDemux, and adding the .ass subs to the video for hardsubbing with the ASS/SSA hardsub filter (but you'll need to have the subs as an external file).

The iPod probably supports only plain-text subs... something like the .srt format.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried xvid4psp yet? this is not only for psp as you can do just about anything with it and you can hardcode subs so you'll beable to play them on your ipod i even think there is even a default i podmp4 setting.
    I recommend you try xvid4psp 4114 version because on newer versions you have to extract the subs before using other software then import and recode. You can download xvid4psp via the link in this page and then select old versions and download, after you've installed and running just open the mkv and go from there.

hope this is of help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spunge85
    Have you tried xvid4psp yet? this is not only for psp as you can do just about anything with it and you can hardcode subs so you'll beable to play them on your ipod i even think there is even a default i podmp4 setting.
    I recommend you try xvid4psp 4114 version because on newer versions you have to extract the subs before using other software then import and recode. You can download xvid4psp via the link in this page and then select old versions and download, after you've installed and running just open the mkv and go from there.

hope this is of help
    Thanks for replying. I already know that I can re-encode the file with the subs hardsubbed. I want to avoid that and just mux them. However, based on some research I don't think MP4 can use .ASS subs anyways.
    Quote Quote