VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm searching for a video editing software which allows you to perform simple actions such as cutting out the opening credits in a mkv file. I've found one called VideoPad but it doesn't meet with my requirements. It includes the feature to open a mkv file but i can only save it as avi and not with all audio streams and subtitles. Whether the software is for free doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmh. Well I tried it out but doesn't work for me. When using a mkv file directly only one audio stream is kept when saving. Demuxing the file first doesn't work either, because I can add audio files only (2 at max) but no subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. mkv is a container format that can hold different types of audio, video, attachments, subs,etc..

you should edit it before you encode to mkv, it would be a lot easier

no editor will automatically cut the subs at the cut site. You have to do this manually

no current editor is frame accurate (you can only cut on keyframes) assuming you mean cuts only (i.e. no re-encoding); at least the GOP of the cutsite has to be re-encoded

If you edit and re-encode everything, then you can be frame accurate. You could use a NLE like premiere pro. It has an avisynth avs import plugin, so you can make scripts. You can frameserve multiple audio tracks , but it doesn't support subs.

It's easier to start from your original source, do your edits and custom subs, then encode to your mkv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay you convinced me. I'll leave it. Sounds like too much work. Thanks though.
    Quote Quote