VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a Toshiba DVR620ku VHS>DVD recorder.

My first attempt at recording seemed to go smoothly - I finalized the DVD and was able to load up the video on my computer using Windows Media Player. Unfortunately, however, the video is not 'seekable'. I can't skip around to get to a specific point in the video.

I tried playing the .vob file in GOM player and again, it played fine but I could not use the 'seek' bar to navigate to a specific point in the video.

Also strange- when using GOM player, the title menu screen came up but i could not choose any menu. The only way i was able to view the video in GOM was by double clicking on the .vob files.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is how the DVD recorder works.

Use VLC to watch the video, not WMP or GOM. WinDVD or PowerDVD may be better yet. VLC free, though.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! That worked.

Is there any way to make the .vob files seekable if i copy them to the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You say your dvd is not seekable, is there a setting in your dvd recorder to make a chapter about every 5 minutes? My Panasonic does it automatically.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seekable and chapters are not the same.
    The only way to "fix" this is to rip the disc and re-author.
    More here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/edit-dvd-recorder.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to skip around using the chapters which is better than nothing if one needs to use WMP, although since it works fine with VLC it's irrelevant anyway.

Thanks for all your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same item as the original poster (the Toshiba dvr620ku). Lordsmurf recommended ripping the dvd, but I have been unable to do this. When I attempt to rip it, the process takes 15 seconds (it is usually 20 minutes) and when I try to play it, VLC gives me the following message: "Playback failure: VLC cannot set the DVD's title. It possibly cannot decrypt the entire disk."

By the way, the disk plays just find on my dvd player, and decently on my computer using VLC. I'm running Ubuntu and using Brasero to create an .iso

Thanks for any help any of you can give!
    Quote Quote