VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to compare the output from DgIndex using a fragment of the NTSC DVD 'Master and Commander'.
    The preview indicates that it is progressive/film.
    I set the video to 'Honour Pulldown Flags' and 'Forced Film'.
    Both clips look the same to me (in VirtualDub they both show the abcdd pattern and the same number of frames).
    GSpot shows 3:2 pulldown and Pics 23.976 Frames 29.97 for both clips I had assumed that the FF clip would only indicate 23.976.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You did something wrong. Honor Pulldown Flags will get you 29.97 fps interlaced. Forced Film will get you 23.976 fps progressive frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are you opening in VDub and GSpot? Not the D2V project file. If you saved out the M2V using File->Save Project and Demux Video, the result of both will be the same in GSpot. DGIndex doesn't reencode. I don't use VDub, and have no idea what you did to get abcdd. You're saying you get 4 unique frames and a duplicate frame in every 5 frame sequence? Not with the M2V, you don't. Not unless you're deinterlacing it or somehow filtering it. Unless, as jagabo says, you did something wrong.

Now, if you made unfiltered AviSynth scripts using the 2 different D2Vs and opened them in VDub, then you'd see the differences. One would be all progressive 23.976fps and the other would have 3 progressive and 2 interlaced in every 5 frame sequence and be interlaced 29.97fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo
    Here's the two outputs.
    I had expected the .m2v files to show differences in GSpot.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ikmje0nnjll

@manono
    I tried using the script and can now see the difference using the .d2v files as source for Virtualdub.
    As noted to jagabo, on reading the Help file, I had expected to see the differences in the .m2v files.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sambat
    ...I had expected to see the differences in the .m2v files.
    If that's what you want to see, open the M2V in DGPulldown, tick the 'Custom' box, fill in 23.976->23.976fps and write a new M2V. That'll strip out the flags and give you what you want when opened in GSpot. DGIndex doesn't actually do anything to the video itself (except demux it, if asked to do so), no matter what Field Operation you set.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You want to open the D2V files with an AviSynth script and VirtualDub:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("ff.d2v")
    or

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("hpf.d2v")
    And note that your D2V files reference the original VOB, not the M2V files you demuxed.

You can also use VirtualDubMod to open your VOB files directly. It ignores pulldown flags and will give you 23.976 fps progressive frames. This can be a problem if your video has mixed frame rates.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, I will try that.
    The following is from the DgIndex Help file (actually a link from the help file) and is the reason I expected the resulting .m2v to show 23.976 in Gspot.
    It does seem like an unequivocal statement.

USING DVD2AVI.Content that displays as FILM in DVD2AVI has been Telecined.
    Use Force FILM as your IVTC methodology.

IVTC is Inverse Telecining. When done properly, it removes those 6 extra frames.
    The resulting video file will have a frame rate of 23.976fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sambat
    It does seem like an unequivocal statement.
    I don't know why you'd think that since it doesn't mention a demuxed M2V at all. The DVD2AVI the quotations mention didn't even allow demuxing the video. It's obviously referring to an AviSynth script using DGDecode (or MPEG2DEC at the time of that article) to frameserve the video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo: thank you.I did that.

@manono:that some may rightly infer it, is as maybe, but it isn't obvious;however, it has been resolved to my satisfaction.
    Much obliged.
    Onward and upward.
    Quote Quote